Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Audio system upgrade.

Blakereva2002

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY UTE 3.8
Hey, I'm looking to get some good quality sound out of my car so I'm on the look for speakers, a Sub and an amp to fit in my VY ute so the sub with have to be small to fit behind the seat as I don't want to use tray space, I have an after market head unit already but for the right head unit i would also be willing to change that as well as I have a sub and amp that came with the car but they don't produce the quality I'm looking for. any recommendations?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
I guess the first question is budget? Decent quality system with a small footprint amp is around the $700-1000 mark.

There are options of Slimline active subs for under the seat too which would negate the need for and amp if you want to power the speakers off the headunit

Blakereva2002

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY UTE 3.8
I guess the first question is budget? Decent quality system with a small footprint amp is around the $700-1000 mark.

There are options of Slimline active subs for under the seat too which would negate the need for and amp if you want to power the speakers off the headunit
yeah i was looking to spend around 700 - 800 just want to make sure i get some good sound out of my speakers as atm i they are less then great and only one works

Kitsune

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 2002
take a look at your current stereo's output with the speaker system, it will tell you how many watts per channel it can put out, if it's just the standard speakers and 45w per channel then I would suggest finding some nice 45W RMS speakers, you will be happy with those until you can find an amp to properly unlock the new speakers potential, the speakers are about <$100 a pair mark if you go for the 6"

Get your amp professionally installed with their own wiring, seriously, there are some cheap and nastywiring coming from China that have thick insulation but very thin wiring that I would barely trust using as speaker wire.

Bunnings sell speaker wiring by the meter, for a VY ute, I would purchase 5M of the stuff and cut to length in the job, go through the path of the old wiring and it will make the job more simple for you.

If you want my advice on an amp... Go for a 4 channel amp, run the wiring to the amp and have the 2 speakers come out of channels 1 and 2 and with the sub bridge the channels 3 and 4 to give it some power, you will be looking for something where it is an extra 50% of the speakers max rating so if your speakers can do 100W you will need a 150W amplifier.

Don't forget to get yourself some nice dampening stuff, draft stoppers from Bunnings will also do the trick, one of those boxes will run you back about $5 but will do the trick in stopping the vibrations rattle your doors when you want to go doof doof.

Be sure to tunethe amplifier appropriately, the gain is not a volume dial, it is there so that you have the best sound available without having the system sound like it's distorted (clipping) at max volume, pay the guy to set that up correctly.

A good sound system will turn heads, a poor sound system would sound like it's still in progress, look on ebay for some second hand amps, look for Pioneer or Alpine... there are some really cheap ones that say 1,200 per channel that are only $80... I guarantee you will smell something in your car if you try that cheap stuff.

Do it right and you will have a great sound system on a budget, Clarion is good speakers... second hand Alpine do it wrong and your car will have that flame job come to life.