Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vy auto to manual

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
chargedvx6, the reason i didn't mention the T56 to TUK20Z is because the stdnard 6 cylinders dont like them. They weredesigned for more powerful vehicles. For ease of changeover the T5 is right for the VY 6 cylinders. But i do think that your $8k figure is a fair way off! I've sussed it out and it's not that expensive!

Also the T5 works out a lot cheaper than the T56

Yeah I can understand that but alot of people don't do their own work and get ripped by shops. The $8000 figure is for a Mal Woods kit without fitting labour so I figured it to be a good ball park figure. Blokes that can do the work themselves are always ahead but still a T56 convo won't be much cheaper than $8000 for parts alone.

Standard V6s don't like T56? Nothing a turbo won't fix LMAO

For a bloke that just posted a thread last week on how do I do a T56 conversion you seem to have all the answers :thumbsup:

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Unless you have money to burn i wouldn't think it was worth your while doing it. Better off to just see the light and get a manual next time...like i did!:yeah:

FAT.36L

8,000RPM FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo S13 Onevia
The conversion would be nearly worth half the cost of the car, not worth it?

As said, sell & by a manual:thumbsup:

You Wouldnt Sell It With All The Work Thats Gone Into It

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
there's been entire Manual conversion kits on ebay for roughly 3 weeks. Included everything - even the computer.
Isn't the T5 what the VS commodores used? Mine came factory with a Getrag m35 box.

The borg warner T5 is very notchy and pretty annoying to drive if you're used to the getrag box, however it's much firmer and parts are easier to get stronger bits for it. My friend with a VU v6 swapped his getrag box out (killed it at drags - only got it half in gear and killed 1st/2nd), and i think it cost him about 3k all up.
The Getrag is good, mine cops a decent thrashing and hasn't missed a beat yet. Shifting is very smooth, much quieter than the T5 PROVIDED you keep the dual mass flywheel setup. Probably would reccomend a Billet shifter to clean up the sloppiness of the stock shifter.
Oh yes, i did forget that, and i did look it up later and fix it in a previous thread of mine. Again, i think i need to shutup sometimes. The Getrag in the VY's is Type 260 (or Option code M35 like stated above).

I would suggest against a T5, theyr'e cheaper but not worth it for your engine. Sorry for the confusion.

Yeah I can understand that but alot of people don't do their own work and get ripped by shops. The $8000 figure is for a Mal Woods kit without fitting labour so I figured it to be a good ball park figure. Blokes that can do the work themselves are always ahead but still a T56 convo won't be much cheaper than $8000 for parts alone.

Standard V6s don't like T56? Nothing a turbo won't fix LMAO

For a bloke that just posted a thread last week on how do I do a T56 conversion you seem to have all the answers :thumbsup:
chargedvx6, It IS actually a lot cheaper than $8000 just for parts. Trust me on that one :) Although, that could be the fact that i'm getting Trade Prices at Holden and other parts from other places which are a lot cheaper. Never pay retail :)

Yes, standard V6's will not like the T56 due to the gear ratios! They're just waay too far out. E.g. First gear:
Type 260: 3.829:1
Auto Box: 3.059:1
T56: 2.660:1

Basically first gear of the T56 is basically like second gear on the T260. You'll need to push out a fair bit of power for it to be usefull for a T56 [out of a 6 cylinder anyways].

LOL, actually, last week wasn't my first week, there's a post somewhere here asking for advice that is over a month old of mine now. And i have been researching the changeover for over 3 months now :whistling

Mainly that post that i did a month ago here was to check if people gave the same advice as what i came to. Since that time i have contacted professionals on the matter and got their suggestions too. Then came the post last week on another forum [speaking of which can you PM me if Deak replies to my posts in the transmission section? {i go to login and it starts logging me in, but when it goes back to the index it's logged out already, very frustrating LOL}] and that post i did on that forum was to make sure i didn't miss any parts i needed for the changeover. Speaking of which, the automatic reverse lockout solenoid circuit is almost complete. :) Since then i've been thinking about it all in my head and how it's going to work. Again, doing more research and finally i'm at the stage of all the parts, but since i'm not in a hurry i can wait for parts to become cheaper :)

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Wow 3 months experience? I will no longer beg to differ

I contacted the pros as you say it over 4 years ago and yes Deek is the man with regards to this stuff. We don't call him Detective Deek for nothing lol

Do some more detective work and prove to me that you cn do a T56 convo for under $5000. I went down that road and decided to just get my auto built and stalled. Much cheaper and quicker in all scenarios IMHO.

You have a torque engine in the L67 and a T56 will be great but if you don't have the power to back it up you will be a professional gear changer that goes nowhere fast.

All good, T56 and a well developed L67 will be a beast, I've been in one and it was a hell ride but just wasn't actually that quick.

To the OP, a T5 will go great for the fun factor but don't discount a shift kitted auto. Cheap ($400- $600 mod) and easy and will not ruin resale of the car. Do a manual convo and insurance and lack of appreciation for resale will kill the bank account

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
3 months i've been researching just the T56, not "experience" as you like to call it. But i have been talking with many professionals (except not YellaTerra yet).

I'm planning on doing the whole conversion for under $5k. Custom bellhousing is quoted at $800 [can get it cheaper], flywheel $750 [again, steep], transmission $1600, clutch and pressure plate, coming from a mate, not sure on price yet, but not too much. Other than that you have pedal and other cheap stuff. For figures quoted above it's around $3k. But going on cheaper prices it's definatly possible to get it under $5k.

I admit i havn't done much to my engine first, but the transmission is only the first major upgrade to get that out of the way and done with.

CANYONERO

Likes Cheese...
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 6spd wif MOMO leavaa.
Unless you have money to burn i wouldn't think it was worth your while doing it. Better off to just see the light and get a manual next time...like i did!:yeah:

very true words, bought an auto. hated it put up with eventually sold it and got a manual and swore never to go back..... all is well so far :)

taztassio

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S L67
alien, the t56 was not designed for more powerful engines, holden do not make the gbox.

its a matter of what holden decide to install in their 6's, not what its designed for.

also, its not the engine that doesnt like it, its the final drive ratio. why u think the t56 ls1s have a 3.46 standard diff gear set. to counteract the 1st gear on t56/

also, chargedvx6 has done alot of research about pricing on this. i dont know why you would want a cog swapper like a t56. auto FTW. always faster in a straight line with a shift kit.

if i were to go manual, r154 maybe. but i dont think so.

but if i were to get a t56, i would buy NEW only, and get a complete ready to install conversion, with a beefed up manual and changed ratio 1st gear from Malwood. no ****ing around.

either way its BS.