Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vy auto to manual

TUK20Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive s1 & vh sl
hey guys im i have an 03 vy auto and im interested in making it manual... but is hard to find boxes and that...can anyone give me any info on where i can find manual conversion gear from and is it a hard change over... computers etc??/
thanks guys

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
For a 6 cylinder you'll want the T5 (speed speed manual). Will bolt straight up to your ecotec and fit in. What you'll need:

T5 Transmission
PCM (from a manual vehicle)
Pedal Box
Clutch Cruise switch
Clutch
Pressure Plate
New flywheel?

TUK20Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive s1 & vh sl
no worries thanks mate anywhere u would recommend searching for that gear???

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Best place would be the wreckers. A lot of VY's are being written off atm by people who are drifting and smashing their vehicles because they're total tools. I've seen 2 in the past week written off down here in Melbourne which are now being sold by insurance companies to cover losses.

My advice, would be if you dont NEED the transmission now, wait and see what comes up :) It will work out cheaper by waiting.

As for the flywheel, if you get your hands on a written off manual vehicle take the flywheel too and put it on yours :)

Skooby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
It would be a lot more cost effective to clean yours up, sell it and buy a manual.

No need to change anything, and probably more reliable.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Not always the best option to sell up a car especially if you've already laid money into it getting maintenance in order.

T56 is around $8000 or failing that T5 will do nicely.

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
The conversion would be nearly worth half the cost of the car, not worth it?

As said, sell & by a manual:thumbsup:

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
chargedvx6, the reason i didn't mention the T56 to TUK20Z is because the stdnard 6 cylinders dont like them. They weredesigned for more powerful vehicles. For ease of changeover the T5 is right for the VY 6 cylinders. But i do think that your $8k figure is a fair way off! I've sussed it out and it's not that expensive!

Also the T5 works out a lot cheaper than the T56

rippen50

Braaap
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z UTE MY12.5
selling chaddys car wouldnt give him his money back... have you seen it.. the thing is off guts

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
there's been entire Manual conversion kits on ebay for roughly 3 weeks. Included everything - even the computer.
Isn't the T5 what the VS commodores used? Mine came factory with a Getrag m35 box.

The borg warner T5 is very notchy and pretty annoying to drive if you're used to the getrag box, however it's much firmer and parts are easier to get stronger bits for it. My friend with a VU v6 swapped his getrag box out (killed it at drags - only got it half in gear and killed 1st/2nd), and i think it cost him about 3k all up.
The Getrag is good, mine cops a decent thrashing and hasn't missed a beat yet. Shifting is very smooth, much quieter than the T5 PROVIDED you keep the dual mass flywheel setup. Probably would reccomend a Billet shifter to clean up the sloppiness of the stock shifter.