Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lensman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hi All. My son's VY auto has developed a loud rattle which seems to be coming from the bottom of the transmission front, around the flex-plate area. Is there any way of checking the flex-plate and torque converter bolts without removing the trans? It sounds like a nut or a bolt rattling around in there. I've put a wooden pole (stethoscope) up to the cat and the bottom of the trans and the noise is definitely coming from the trans. I'm working with it on jack stands (sadly).

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
We found a broken flex plate on an 2007 ve alloytech and we were able to remove the bottom inspection plate and ram a long screw driver up behind the plate and noticed way to much movement

Dunno if the vy trans the inspection door panel?

Lensman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
We found a broken flex plate on an 2007 ve alloytech and we were able to remove the bottom inspection plate and ram a long screw driver up behind the plate and noticed way to much movement

Dunno if the vy trans the inspection door panel?

Thanks evBenji. I've just had a good look, there is a small captive plate, round and about the size of a 20 cent piece. I removed that and poked my finger around in it but couldn't feel very far. I''ve jacked the engine up slightly and it's not the engine mounts. I'm starting to think it's something more sinister. I'm going to try to post a video below. Cheers.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
$10 says thats one of the catalytic converters letting go.

Will sound like marbles, which from the vid is what it sounds like.

Lensman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
$10 says thats one of the catalytic converters letting go.

Will sound like marbles, which from the vid is what it sounds like.
Thanks someguy360. I'd be happy if that's what it was, but when I put my wooden pole up to the converter it was way quieter than when I put it against the transmission. Thanks again.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Easier to take it to someone with a hoist and drop the box off the motor and have a geezer. It sounds pretty how ya goin thats for sure!

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Yea the flex plate sounded like that. Put a long screw driver in behind flex plate and see if it rocks about. It should hav no movement at all

Does sound like thin tin

Lensman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Someguy360, where do I send my $10??? Turns out it was the passenger side catalytic converter. I thought I'd compare it (using a Macgyver stethoscope) to the driver side and one was rattly, the other quiet. So I pulled it off, which was easier that I thought it would be, rusty bolts and all, banged out the honeycomb like material and put it back. Runs quiet as a mouse again. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, they were very much appreciated.

Attachments

• P1110725.JPG
    P1110725.JPG
    914.9 KB · Views: 169

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
That tip was worth the $10

WOW