Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY automatic transmission shift button question.

Whiplash.mp3

Fastest VY in town.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VY S2; 3.8l
Hey, guys.

I just have a question regarding the button on the shifter in automatic VY Commodores.

I've been driving mine a few years now and I'm only required to depress the shifter button to change up into neutral, reverse and park or to change down into first, but I recently read that the standard transmission requires the driver to use the button to change down into second gear also, which I've never had to do. I know the police models had some changes made to allow a direct shift into second and I bought the car used as an ex-government car.

What I'm wondering is if anyone here drives an automatic VY and can tell me if they're required to use the shifter button to change down into second or not.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Ok I just checked my folk's VY and you need to press the shifter button to go into 1st gear, but 2nd no button is needed from drive or 3rd. In my VX I need to press the button to go into 2nd.

Whiplash.mp3

Fastest VY in town.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VY S2; 3.8l
Ok I just checked my folk's VY and you need to press the shifter button to go into 1st gear, but 2nd no button is needed from drive or 3rd. In my VX I need to press the button to go into 2nd.

Thanks, man. Too many conflicting reports around online to get a definite answer any other way.

benno9911

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY S2 Exec
i can go down to secound without pressing the button in my vy and mines was bought as a company car so no extras and my mums vy Calais