Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Berlina vs BA XLS ute help

boarder.93

I wanna mod
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Berlina
Hey look i've got a mate at school with a XLS ute with John Bowe extractors... not adding much power I knnow... any way I have a completely stock standard VY berlina, I'm keen to beat his car and I really have no clue how to do it... myself not being very mechanically minded, however, cars have become to be a growing passion in my life in the past year and I am picking up on things slowly... Basically from reading threads posted here and talkin with my mate whose a mechanic...

Does anyone have any p plate legal mods in order to put a smart arse in his place and prove that our cars are better??? I've had suggestions for a new diff, what ratios??? Any other mods, basically if I gave your $7500 and you were on your p's what performance mods would you do???

Also it is an automatic (constantly regretting not buying a manual until I hit Sydney traffic) and also acceleration is the key... Just to make your life a little bit harder
Thanks...

Anwyll

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Berlina V6
I'm assuming your Berlina is a V6.

For that money you could just about bolt on a gentle supercharger, although this might not fit with your 'p-plater legal' approach.

I'd recommend extractors, exhaust set up, decent intake approach (cold air intake and maybe larger throttle body and a decent air filter), could even pop in some high ratio rockers and some intake manifold spacers. Companies like MACE Engineering who are forum sponsers have a V6 performance parts sticky or there are other companies like V6 performance who have similar products which are direct replacements or bolt-ons which won'tt raise the eyebrows of a curious cop (especially the V6 performance Type-S CAI, looks almost identical to factory intake, plus rockers are under the rocker covers and spacers are normally hidden by your engine cover). I doubt you would hit your budget cap with these alone so you could even get your car tuned with all these mods.

Then there are shift kits and LSD with different ratios but you're starting to get in to more expensive mods there.

Not sure what numbers you'd pull, perhaps check out some other people's mods and power if they know.

liamvys

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 vy 2 s ute
u cant do anything to ur engine wen ur on ur p's (legally) .. just get a decent tune

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
If you gave me your car and 7500 dollars I would sell your car and get you a good V8 VY or a VY with a factory supercharged V6. You would have more performance than a modified 6, especially with a V8, no modification dramas to deal with and I would give you change out of $7500.

tyrone

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH caprice , 2010 Holden CDX Cruze
one problem with that he said on his p's so no option for a v8 well i assume anyway depends where he lives

doobs

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VY LS1 Berlina Wagon
yeah sorry mate, but I think what ever you do to your car, the falcon I6 is gonna have you... If you were allowed to, you could try a supercharger, but even then if he does work to the I6, I think you will have a challenge on your hands...

Try the listed mods above, but as I said, I think you will struggle to beat him in any case, save up and get a V8 when you can...

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
yeah, bascially ive got every bolt on mod u can get cept for a larger maf and charger lol got my auto shift kitted, tuned ect and i can just barely get a car length on them if that, and thats just a basic modded one with cai, exhuast ect

boarder.93

I wanna mod
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Berlina
I'd recommend extractors, exhaust set up, decent intake approach (cold air intake and maybe larger throttle body and a decent air filter), could even pop in some high ratio rockers and some intake manifold spacers.

Then there are shift kits and LSD with different ratios but you're starting to get in to more expensive mods there.

I have decided to go along with what you said, and I have been told a LSD with 3:9:1 would do well??? so yeah. We haven't lined up yet, but we've given them a bit and we're close, however when he gets into 3rd he begins to pull away, but I'm keen. We have even planned for our blacks, I'm buying dad's VE SS and he's gonna twin turbo his ute, so its still gonna be close. I'm thinking a walkinshaw supercharger, cam upgrade, high performance headers, roller rockers, exhaust and yeah, will be a lot of fun, probs gonna head down to a drag strip and give em a go, should be good, I'll keep you posted... Thanks for the help...

sammyc16

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S PAC UTE, 95 VS CALAIS
There is always a stroker kit?