Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Blaupunkt CD Error

ARATIC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hot House VY SS
Hey,

Today I tried to play a CD on my factory VY 6 stacker unit for the first time since I've owned the car. However after pushing 'load' and waiting a few seconds whilst it making a few buzzing noises, 'Mech Error' came up on the LCD.

Obviously there is a problem with the CD mechanism, but wondering if anyone has had this before, and if it is repairable? Or am I in for a replacment, if I want to play CD's.

Cheers

VesperZ

2005 Holden VZ Berlina
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
I think it's safe to say there is an issue with your CD mechanism. Have you tried to eject perhaps to see if anything is stuck inside? The advantage with these units I guess is that they come in 2 parts and then screwed together, so if you can find a spare 6 stacker for these units then you can simply replace just the CD part of it. The hard part is finding one. Perhaps find a Holden Wrecker, they may have a few in stock. It's certainly cheaper than buying a new one. There's a few on eBay, I've seen new ones for about $295.00, but then you also get the occasional second hand ones up there as well.

ARATIC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hot House VY SS
How hard is it to replace just the stacker mechanism? There are a few cheap complete units on ebay at the moment which the owners dont appear to have the pin codes for, and Im thinking I could use them for the stacker mechanism

EDIT: This probably appears a bit dodgy buying from someone who doesnt have the pin, however going on their other listings it appears they did (previously) own the car the stereo has come out of

Last edited:

shaune_m

Reaction score
Members Ride
GS300 2JZ TURBO/ S2 RX7
Yep definitely worth scouring ebay for second hand units. Have seen them roughly around $180-220 mark but the odd one appears for less.
Cheers

ARATIC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hot House VY SS
Doing this at the moment. Last week saw someone selling brand new units for $225, not on there now though.

bulldog79

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy calais .vs commodore
that happend to mine so i did not bother with it a few weeks later the wife got into the car and loaded a cd no trouble and has worked fine since

ARATIC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hot House VY SS
You were lucky, I have tried disconnecting the battery but still no luck.

Anyone know if I put a Calais unit in with the aerial adjustment buttons if I can control the aerial from it?? Or does the Calais have a different aerial?

cameronmc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II S
I have a VY II S and I've tried removing both fuses for about 20 seconds and putting them back in the ones marked Radio/Cell Phone and also removing the battery leads for about 10 minutes and both failed, I still receive the CD Error message. I'm not sure exactly what's up with the CD player.. as we bought the car with the CD Error so I'm not sure if there is a CD stuck in it or just some other problem.

Once again VY II S and single disk blaupunkt cd stereo.

Any idea's????

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
You were lucky, I have tried disconnecting the battery but still no luck.

Anyone know if I put a Calais unit in with the aerial adjustment buttons if I can control the aerial from it?? Or does the Calais have a different aerial?

I'm pretty certain the Berlina and Calais automatic aerials are different to the Executive type. I have a feeling that just putting in the 6 stacker won't make your aerial work automatically as it does with the single stacker. (But would be happy to be proven wrong on this one.)

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
I know this is an old thread and the OP has probably sorted his issue, but here is some info that hasn't been listed above. I had the same "MECH ERROR" on my 6 stacker the other week. I took the head unit out and took the top cover off the stacker component (only held on by a couple of screws). What I found was a couple of the CDs had come off the centre 'holder'. I carefully pulled the CDs out from the top (be very careful as there's some fragile parts in there), then put the top cover back on and re-installed the unit back in the car. It was then able to re-load CDs and everyting worked fine. When the power is disconnected from the car and reconnected again, the CD stacker cycles through (or tries to) to identify what's inside. Sometimes this process can dislodge 1 (or more) CDs from the centre holder. Hopefully this can help someone out if they have this issue in the future. :)