Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vy brake fluid

redlion05

Red Lion 05
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2
hello everyone,

i have a vy calais s 2 and owned it for a year now. Im changing my rear brake pads and so i have purchased some castrol brake fluid dot 4 to refill half of my brake fluid found in the resevouir. Can you mix brake fluid, regardless of the brand name?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Brake fluid should be changed every two years. Read your books if you don't believe me.

Would it not be better to top it up as you empty it front and rear with nice new fluid?

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
The fluid in the vehicle now will be a conventional DOT 3 or DOT 4 spec product, most likely DOT 4. Castrol DOT 4 will be compatible with these regardless of brand as they are all polyglycol based. DOT 4 is a superior product to DOT 3 fluids due to its higher boiling point threshhold.

The standard brake fluids do not blend with DOT 5 silicon brake fluids because the 2 types do not mix but it is very unlikely a DOT 5 product is in your car.

In any event you must bleed and replace the brake fluid in the entire system every 24 months (because of deterioration due to contamination and moisture absorbtion). So you should do the full system now.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Get a price from a mechanic to vacuum bleed them. I got mine dome for about $55 and he used 1.5 litres of fluid so only charged a bit over $30 compared to DIY.

Richard Moss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Chevrolet Lumina Coupe S (Monaro CV6)
The standard brake fluids do not blend with DOT 5 silicon brake fluids because the 2 types do not mix but it is very unlikely a DOT 5 product is in your car.
For identification purposes, DOT5 is purple and DOT 3 and 4 are clear (well, slightly yellow)

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
How much fluid is needed for a full flush? I've bought two 500ml bottles. Do I need more?
Two years ago I paid to have it done for $50, so I'm not sure how much I need to DIY? Doesn't show brake system capacity in owner's manual.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
you'll prob use one and a half bottles

did mine two weeks ago

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily