Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Calais Grills

Barnzey90

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VYII Calais Supercharged V6
Hi,

I need to know if a VY Calais series 1 Grille will fit into a VY Calais series 2 Bumper? I had an accident and the insurance company (RACQ) cant source a grill and want to give me $52 and give the car back with no grille.... the only grille I can find that looks similar is this Holden VY Calais Grille Series 1 Second Hand | eBay .

Any help would be great thx :)

markbaja

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec & SZ Territory Diesel
I'm going to say yes. Calais to Calais is the same.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 4

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
It will fit but it's a lot of fiddly work.

I did the exact opposite job a few years back fitting a Series 2 Calais lower grille to a Series 2 Berlina bumper. The Series 2 Berlina is identical to the Series 1 Calais.

Firstly, the Series 2 Calais bumper has a completely different mounting system for the grille and the fog lights. The fogs on the Series 1 are fitted to the grille with a mounting bracket that is part of the light, and the whole unit clips into the bumper from the rear. The Series 2 lights connect directly to the bumper facia IIRC and the grille clips on around them from the front.

The grilles are almost identical in width and depth, but not precisely - I think the Series 1 was a little bit wider but not enough to worry about.

With a lot of mucking about, you should be able to alter the grille and bumper to make them fit but they are not a straight swap over.

I realise it's very small, but my avatar shows my VY after it was converted.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Tell them to GFTS and give the car back is pre accident condition, ie Phone holden, bend over and pay what they tell them to pay. That's why you pay for insurance.

If the part you source its your loss and your problem, if they source it and it doesn't fit its your problem.

Scott

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
ummm................. no

try $520 - You need to source one (phone calls), pay for it (most likely wrecker will charge more), pay for postage or collect, fitment charge (if your unable)

to me - this is way more than $52

Barnzey90

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VYII Calais Supercharged V6
Thanks for the info Calaber... vkberlina, Munz I have phoned holden and they stopped making the grille in may last year and cant give me a last known list price for the part. the repairer has tried to source through all their normal channels as well as trying wreckers. RACQ said they have a parts resourcing company that they have tried also but with no result. I'm not really concerned as to what they value the part at.... I don't want my car back without its proper grille, as far as I'm concerned if you cant source parts to fix something then that makes it unrepairable. I don't want them to write it off but if they cant fix it properly I don't want something that looks bodgy.... or I would have bought a ford :p

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
Chev grille perhaps :hiding:

J/K don't do it

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I agree completely that fitting a Series 1 grille will ruin the front appearance. The Series 2 was a far more attractive design (which is why I went to a lot of trouble and expense converting my Berlina to look like a Calais) but the info from Holden about the part being NLA would be right. I waited many months before I could get the genuine bracket that held the chrome strip to the front of the bonnet because the supplier had shut down and that was back in 2008.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Ok call Holden back and ask your dealer to do a "National Parts search" this will locate a Holden dealer somewhere in Australia that WILL have one, they then ship it to your dealer and you collect it.
You have to pay upfront but you get it.

Scott

Danielzke

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commy
I have a VY Calais Series 2 grill just sitting here doing nothing, you can have it for the postage cost mate.