Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vy calais head light adjustment

drift-it

Reaction score
Members Ride
'12 Px ranger 4x4
here is a craptastic sorta idea on what is happening. the light beam is alright from the right but then it goes high on the left..and i can tell its blinding people on the side of the road etc.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 829

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The low beam headlight pattern shown in the commodore workshop manuals I have,show that the pattern you are getting in the above coloured diagram, is the correct low beam headlight pattern.Its purposely meant to be like that so the left edge and side of the road is shown up better.Id try adjusting it down more and to the left more.If you cant get it right,take it to a mechanic who can aim the headlights properly on an aiming board..

drift-it

Reaction score
Members Ride
'12 Px ranger 4x4
i am a mechanic myself and have adjusted it perfectly against a wall! th picture is basically against a wall from 3-4 meters away...however when i drive i see more of peoples front yards then the road! like the main beam is shooting across instead of forwards. i checked the bulbs were correctly fitted and that the headlights were straight. i can only adjust the light so far before it stops and doesnt adjust further! just wondering if anyone else with the projector type low beam and hids had the same problem? the only reason im concerned is that i can see people on the side of the road when going through the main street all covering there eyes or looking the other way..i want that light on the road not the sidewalk. lol

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
That's just how they are. If you put the standard halogens in you will see the beam pattern is exactly the same, just a lot less noticeable since halogens are dimmer. I guess the reason it is like this is so you can read street signs etc, and it's acceptable for other drivers with the halogens.

If you really wanted to fix it, disassemble the projectors and you will find a metal plate inside that provides the cut-off, with a slope on one side. Like so:
http://www.houseofthud.com/cartech/hids/tn_DSCN9706_jpg.jpg
what you want to do is manufacture a new metal plate with a straight edge, or at least a much shallower slope.

TBH i just have the "H9 high beam retro fit" in my Berlina. No problems with the boys in blue, no one ever flashes me and its still a decent improvement from standard.

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
so the h9 retrofit with phillips crystal visions will be a better option you think?? i say crystal visions because thats what my fog lights are.
Well modding the cut off plate and keeping the HIDs would be the best option if you wanted all out light output, but you'll still blind people when driving over a crest, or hitting a bump in the road. In terms of light output, H9 globes are inbetween a stock H11 globe and a HID globe. So they are a bit more street friendly.

H11 halogen low beam - 1350lumens
H9 high beam halogen - 2100lumens
HID - ~3000lumens

They are 65Watt (compared to 55Watt H11) but are much more efficient, over 50% brighter. They are also whiter then a H11. While still technically illegal to retrofit into a H11 socket, you are unlikely to get pulled for it because the globes look identical to a H11 unless you unplug them and see that the key in the globe socket has been modified. They are also more fiddly to mount to the projector because the mounting tabs are slightly off, but it still fits. You'll get the best light output from a non-tinted bulb. I just went to Holden and bought a pair of OEM H9 globes (Osram), because i couldn't find them anywhere else.

Calaisboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy calais S2
how do i go about modifying this plate? obviously lights out. do i have to pull the headlight assembly apart?

Having exactly the same problem! Plus some shadowing where pure light should be :(