Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Calais LS1 running rough

Calais_123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais LS1
So i decide to wash my engine bay out by spraying some degreaser on and then washing it off with water, then blowing all the water off with the compressor. After this the car runs really rough especially when in drive to the point where it sounds like its gunna stall. So i thought it was coil packs so i let engine idle and unplug them one by one until i got to the one where it idled the same when it was unplugged, so i go wreckers and change it and still runs the same. ive read up on a few other threads where you let everything dry out for a few days then everything back to normal. so i did let it dry for a few days. it starts and runs fine for a while and then goes back to running rough when car gets hot. And now another few days later its the opposite and it starts from cold running rough and then runs fine :/

And now another day later its just running rough the entire time!! Im just so confused now its not even funny. I missed going to powercruise coz of this so spewin. I've unplugged and put WD40 into the coil pack plugs and no change.

If anyone's had the same problem and fixed it any help is appreciated as this is my daily

Thanks in advance

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
What I would guess has happened us that water has gone onto the plugs, it happens a lot and causes missfires. Pull the leads off and dry them with air and see if it gets better. May have also got water under the inlet manifold and wet the knock sensors, but if it's one cylinder only, I'd be checking plug lead and plug for water contamination

Calais_123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais LS1
i should have added i changed all leads and was the same so took it to a mechanic and he changed all spark plugs and checked cylinder compression and all that **** all good. i unplugged 3 of the 4 coil pack plugs on the drivers side and still idles the same. pretty sure the entire sides gone hay. And just took it for a drive now and it runs bad for about half a kilometer and then PERFECT after...??? how do you think the water got into the inlets manifold??

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Under the inlet manifold, just above the waterpump there's a small gap, but that doesn't sound like the problem anyways. Try blowing the electrical connections for the coil packs that go to the main wiring harness. Something doesn't sound right if it didn't run like this before the degrease

Calais_123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais LS1
Car ran perfectly before the wash. yer i blew out all connections again and it seems to be getting a little bit better every time. hopefully it goes away after time

Calais_123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais LS1
7 days later and runs perfectly,not going to wash engine bay ever again ahaha