Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Calais series 1 V6 instrument cluster into VY exec series 1 V6

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
BA xr6 turbo Heinrich tuned to 300 rwkw's
I am thinking of putting a Vy Calais series 1 cluster in to my Vy exec series 1 which as far as I know shouldn't be a problem as long as the Calais was a V6 (but I think most of the vy calais v6's were supercharged)

Someone told me over the phone that I need to match the numbers on the back of the cluster otherwise it won't work. I could get a Berlina series 1 cluster but prefer the look of the Calais cluster, is this possible or too much trouble? I know series 2 VY clusters will give incorrect readings from the fuel gauge is put into a series 1 car.

If not possible what alternative cluster can I put in my Vy exec? I really prefer the 3 window type though. (I have read the "Everything to know about changing clusters VY/VZ tutorial which is pretty good)

Last edited:
R

Risky

I was hoping to do the same thing with my ute but it was going to cost too much. I did ask my local Holden Dealer Service Centre to reprogram but the techs wouldn't do it. I found an independent bloke but he was going to charge me the earth so I thought I'd spend my cash on other things the ute needed. The problem living in a country town is that if you want it done only a couple of people can do it properly & charge you a mortgage to do it.

Series II clusters (and VZ) are different so stick to a series I if you can. If you were doing a HZ dash into a HQ, it wouldn't be a problem but with modern cars it is. My suggestion is keep the cluster you have & spend the cash elsewhere on your car.

Someone did an early VE steering wheel with controls into a VY & that would be a far easier & cheaper thing to do.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
You can put any cluster into your car as long as the Series match. So if your car is a Series 1 you have to put a cluster from a Series 1 in it.

You will than need to use a Tech2 to reprogram the cluster. This is seriously a 5 minute job, so if anyone tries to charge you a lot of money, tell them to get ####ed.

If you put a Calais cluster into an Executive, the airbag configuration will need to be changed. Also if the car has a V8 or other engine than what you have, also needs to be changed. Also a few other little things. Still a quick and easy job.

Anyone with a Tech2 can do this. So ask around on this forum.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
You can put any cluster into your car as long as the Series match. So if your car is a Series 1 you have to put a cluster from a Series 1 in it.

You will than need to use a Tech2 to reprogram the cluster. This is seriously a 5 minute job, so if anyone tries to charge you a lot of money, tell them to get ####ed.

If you put a Calais cluster into an Executive, the airbag configuration will need to be changed. Also if the car has a V8 or other engine than what you have, also needs to be changed. Also a few other little things. Still a quick and easy job.

Anyone with a Tech2 can do this. So ask around on this forum.

Spot on! :beer chug:
To confirm everythign needed...Things that need to be correct are:
-Engine size (V6/V8)
-Transmission (Auto/Manual)
-Body Type (Sedan,Utility,Cab chassis)
-Airbag Config (0,2,3,4,6loop)
-Speedo PPK (Generally.. default value is ok!)
-Series (1 or 2)(Cluster series MUST match vehicle. 6ish out of 10 clusters reject a series change reprogram)

The Holden tech told me that it was illegal to change the Kms & the other guy said i'd need another BCM as well so I never bothered.

Hopefully someone will do a writeup on this.
The other guy has no idea what hes on about! Dont need to change bcm or any other component in the car. All a matter of having the correct settings programmed into the new cluster. And the cluster to be fitted requires its odometer matched to the original clusters reading, this keeps the car to its true reading an no fowl play.

R

Risky

I might have to send you a Calais cluster TazzI if none of these buggers where I live don't/can't want to do it.

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've located a VY Calais series 1 cluster but it's from a V8

R

Risky

You can still buy them new from Holden. I enquired back in late July as I was getting my ute prepped for painting & figured in getting it done then. But after I was told that Holden wouldn't touch it & the other guy wanting way too much money, I decided to leave it.

This thread has brought back my interest.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I've located a VY Calais series 1 cluster but it's from a V8

No probs at all, just need a Tech2 to change its settings (apart from odometer, see Tazzi for this) and away you go.

Proof that it can be done,

20151111_011329.jpg

Last edited:

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
I got one through a really great guy on Ebay, he is programing it to my km's which are a lot higher than whats on the new cluster, he is also programming police mode so I can have the full time large digital speedo. Once it arrives and it's all hooked up I'll let everyone know how it goes for future people wanting to do this.