Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Calliper Bolts

Paul01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Equipe
Hello, so Ive got a VY wagon that was shuddering. Put new front rotors and pads on but when I went to tighten the last caliper bolt it threaded. I noticed it had different looking bolts to the other side eg. different colour and thick washers (drivers side didn't have washers). I am guessing it might have been helicoiled (or similar) previously. I cut the washer off and put a thin one on, along with a bit of Loctite and this gave me a bit of temporary purchase.
Do I drill it again and re-helicoil it, just try and put a new coil in it or something else ?
I haven't used helicoils before so if I buy a set, does anyone know what size I need and also the size of the bolts which I might need to replace.
Any help much appreciated.
Ps It was the large bolt hole that was de-threaded, not the slider bolt hole.

Last edited:

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
First thing is you need to verify that it was heli coiled. If it has been heli coiled you have two options buy a second hand knuckel or take the knuckel to a machine shop and have them install a time sert.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
you can get thead repair done they are mobile and come to you but if its screws in the caliper just replace it

Last edited:

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Sorry is it the larger bolts or the small slide bolts?

Paul01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Equipe
Sorry is it the larger bolts or the small slide bolts?
The larger bolt, at the bottom, which seemed to have its thread intact except maybe very slightly roughed up in a couple of spots around the bottom.

Paul01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Equipe
Hello, so Ive got a VY wagon that was shuddering. Put new front rotors and pads on but when I went to tighten the last caliper bolt it threaded. I noticed it had different looking bolts to the other side eg. different colour and thick washers (drivers side didn't have washers). I am guessing it might have been helicoiled (or similar) previously. I cut the washer off and put a thin one on, along with a bit of Loctite and this gave me a bit of temporary purchase.
Do I drill it again and re-helicoil it, just try and put a new coil in it or something else ?
I haven't used helicoils before so if I buy a set, does anyone know what size I need and also the size of the bolts which I might need to replace.
Any help much appreciated.
you can get thead repair done they are mobile and come to you but if its screws in the caliper just replace it
Sorry, should have been more specific. The bolt seems ok, it's the hole that is de-threaded and this is on the large bolts holding the caliper saddle? not the sliders