Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY car antenna replacement

jdcasagrande

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY s pac supercharged
Hi,

Has anyone ever replaced the car antenna on a 2003 VY series 2 s pac?

I was wanting to replace the ugly long motorised antenna with a short black stubby one. Does anyone know if this is possible on the VY holdens?

cheers

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
I have done this on a number of my previous cars - and plan to do it on my VY in the near future. I see no reason why it can't be done, but getting it to sit flush on the panel may involve some lateral thinking as it's a small hole on a tight curve - compared to some I have done.

jdcasagrande

Reaction score
Members Ride
ok, do i need to remove the whole antenna assembly? or does the antenna mast twist off? and i twist the smaller stubby antenna on?

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
it's harder than just twisting it off.

Jack up front passenger side of car
remove wheel
remove plastic cover insider wheel arch
remove aerial from up under here

insert hew aerial base from under wheel arch
screw new aerial to base from above.

The tricky part is that the generic rubber aerials are designed to be fitted to flat surfaces - not curved.
so adaptations to the base are required to get a good fit as the aerial hole is on a curved part of the panel on the vy.

I'll see about taking some photos if I get a worthwhile result on mine.

jdcasagrande

Reaction score
Members Ride
yer a picture would be great! ok i see, must take some crafty skill to get it looking flush. nothings ever as simple as screw off screw on is it haha!

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
i think i might still have the instructions from when i changed mine... if so ill put it up for you but you need to remove some interior stuff as well to diconnect the aerial

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
It actually worked out easier than I thought. Once the old aerial is removed - the standard issue plastic trim stays and the new rubber aerial fits through that.
Gone is the clunky, oversized fragile and overly expensive unit - in is the sleek 'n' sexy rubber aerial. Reception is a lottle better than the old aerial - but far from perfect. It would need to be perfect before I would switch from listening to the ipod, but that's a whole 'nother issue.

Anyways, aerpro universal mount rubber aerial $13 and supercheap. Remove old aerial, dissassemble the rubber aerial - the base goes up under the wheel arch, the aerial screws into the base from above - clamping either side of the standard plastic trim. I also earthed the aerial via a wire - but I don't know if it makes any difference?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 2,494
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 2,251
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 2,787
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 2,052

jdcasagrande

Reaction score
Members Ride
yer the standard aerial is around $160 from holden, what a waste of money. is there any particular brand of stubby antenna that i need to use? or lets say one off ebay would do the trick?

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
Can't speak for random brands off ebay - but in principal you should be able to work something out with any universal aerial ?

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
yer the standard aerial is around $160 from holden, what a waste of money. is there any particular brand of stubby antenna that i need to use? or lets say one off ebay would do the trick?
Only about $70 for a replacement mast/rope if it gets bent. No need to replace the aerial motor in such an accident.