Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy clock spring testing

vyconfusion

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy commodore
G'day All, I have looked through the forums and for the life of me I cannot find anything about circuit testing a clock spring of a vy and the closest I got was some body else asking the same question . My question being is ,do the pins on all three clock spring connectors join to the steering column or as I have found that number 1 pin on the air bag connector seems to go nowhere? so any help would be great as I need to get the error code of so I can finally get it on the road. Thanks :surprise:

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Airbag is the 2 thicker wires.
So should be one of the right 2 pins in the back plug (this is an assumption, can see 8 wires and 8 pins on the plug and my multimeter is not within arms reach nor eyesight).
clockspring_zpsnkadxsxf.jpg

No continuity to the plug pins = stuffed.
Multimeter continuity is not a great test as any movement of the flat spiraled wire core can cause it to make contact and show continuity and then break contact again with another movement, as you can't find a corresponding pin in the plug i'd give up any further testing, bin it and buy a new one.

vyconfusion

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy commodore
Thanks for that. I brought a new one and it tested the same, it appears that there is a resistor in the air bag contact plug and that is why you don't get a reading on the pin.if you remove the cover on the pin (carefully) and test straight to the wire you get a reading I found and even moving it around on the clock spring (by turning) continuity showed no loss of test.That showed me that there is another problem with the air bag code, so now I have to find it. Ant idea's? I have heard that the left seat belt tensioner can be a problem with VY's aswell??? Thanks Again.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Just checked this one and it is the 2 pins corresponding with the thicker conductors, think it came from a VX and there is no resistance.
After looking at ebay VT/VU/VX/VY use the same part, can't confirm this 100% though.