Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Clubsport Gearbox Rattle

nicco

Reaction score
Members Ride
EF Falcon
Hi guys,

First post so be nice. :p

My brother is looking at upgrading from his VY S to a VY clubsport R8. We test drove one on the weekend, and it was in really good condition, the one thing we noticed that was wrong with it though was that there was a strange rattle coming form the gearshifter (it was a manual) area under hard acceleration.

It wasnt a "death throws of the gearbox rattle" but it came from around there. The owner said that his mates SS does it too. Neither of us could work out what it could be and how serious it might be.

If anyone has any ideas that'd be really helpful.

btw: while i'm here, what else should we be looking for in a clubsport when test driving? i know of:
Rear suspension gets too much camber when the bushes flog out
Doors moving around in the door frames over bumpy roads

Cheers,
Nic

radiohead

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn exc/vtss
Hi nicco its a common fault on the 6 speed boxes,they rattle.You can get them tightened up but the change becomes harder and a bit rubbery.I have a vt ss 6 speed which was tightened by holden.As far a rattles.Well that's something they all do as well because the suspension is hard(too hard i reckon)Even my sunroof rattles when closed.I have the roof open and the stereo up.Cheers Peter

nicco

Reaction score
Members Ride
EF Falcon
hey thanks radiohead.

i didnt get my email saying there was a response, i'll have to take a look at that! :whistling

so would i be right in saying its the linkage from the shifter handle back to the actual box thats rattling then? thats no biggie i spose.

cheers for that.

Baldric

The BOSS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE GTS M6
havnent had any rattlign faults on mine unless you me the dodgey holden link design on the shifter, im sure if he puts in a RIPSHIFT that bolts directly to the shifter piviot pin then the rattle wouldn't be there anymore.

nicco

Reaction score
Members Ride
EF Falcon
^^^^:w00t:

lol. yeah i have a billet products quickshifter on my EF and its fantastic

CANYONERO

Likes Cheese...
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 6spd wif MOMO leavaa.
mine rattles like under accel too. nothing too serious mate.

rhysyvtss

chev badges for sale!!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
y series r8 clubby, wicked vn
so does mine its the shifter itself i think iv got a vy r8 too, try squashing the shifter knob when it accelerates and see what happens stops with mine

Farlig

Reaction score
Members Ride
Y-Series Clubsport
my shifter has never made noises:) glad its quiet even after ripshifter and a zgrip clutch. make sure you use locktite on shifter bolts, and make sure the plastic inserts on the top of the shifter doesn't move around, slam some black silicon in it if you need to.