Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Clubsport LS1 oil pump

HSV 671

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY CLUBSPORT MM6
Hi all.
Who knows about these LS1 oil pumps? Do they fail, how and are they hard to replace? It's ticking when first cranked until oil reaches the top. About 3 seconds. Should I get a oil pressure test done? I heard the 2 o rings let go and loose some pressure. Doesn't do it all the time...

Thanks.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
What oil weight are you using?, the earlier 97-00 LS1`s had a crap oil pump problem, they revised it in 00 and stuck all the LS6 bits on it, including the LS6 oil pump, this was considered a reliable unit.

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
They are a wearable part and the do fail, they are annoying to change, you got to take the whole front of the engine off including the harmonic balancer, water pump and sag the sump as well to get the pickup off.

From what your saying i reckon its a lifter tick more then the oil pump

Either swap oil out for some 15-50w nulon full synth or put a bottle of lifter quietner in and see if the problem goes away.

IF its the oil pump, install a cam while its all apart.

HSV 671

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY CLUBSPORT MM6
Currently using Penrite HPR 10W40 Fully Synthetic. Mainly Ticking on startup for 3 seconds at last cylinder, passenger side firewall, whatever that cylinder# is. Engine has 250,000kms. Every 5000 oil change with filter n sometimes lifter free. Not sure if the rest of the engine would handle a cam package at 250k. Would something else let go.... ?

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Oh one thing that I did no pick up on and after a reread I spotted you never said anything about the one thing that happens with **** pressure,.......OIL LIGHT on the dashboard does that ever come on?????

As for the stick, to put things into perspective my LS1 had 130k and I still changed everything, by that I mean, Timing chain, oil pump (ported LS3 oil pump), springs, valve stem seals, locks, retainers, pushrods, and 25% underdrive kit.

Consider mild head porting while the heads are off, though this is only necessary if you want strong mid range to top end power that would compliment the cam selection if it were on the larger side.

HSV 671

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY CLUBSPORT MM6
No oil lights ever

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Oil light is controlled by the pcm.
Doubt it'd be an oring on the pickup, you won't get oil pressure unless you rev the engine (at least on the few I've seen with that issue were like that).

If you know anyone with a tech2 get them to hook it up and see what the oil pressure is doing.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
sounds like a sticky lifter

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute
First things first, if you having no oil use problems, drop it out and try a 5w30 or 5w40. Even a different brand oil can do strange things in the LS1. My VZ hates penrite for some reason. Also check what type of oil filter your using. I had problems with ryco for some reason and would get the rattles on startup which I assume was due to a dicky antidrainback valve in the filter. Changed to a genuine and the problem disappeared.

HSV 671

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY CLUBSPORT MM6
Ok ill go genuine oil filter. Think I've worked it out. Had a spare Ryco Z160 which is on there now. Pushed the valve down on the spare one and it was stiff as buggery. Seems like it will push down after oil pressure is up enough. Looks like the Ryco has an issue. Seems like it's sucking the filter dry on on the outlet side on startup, until pressure is up enough to push the drain back valve down to supply oil. Because its inverted, these engines should not have a drain back valve. I cannot find an oil filter to suit without the anti drain back valve.