Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy clubsport respray

leavz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Commodore
Hey guys! Back at it again with another respray.

so it's been a little over two years since i resprayed my ute link below :)
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vr-ute-full-respray.237434/#post2723079

So two years has gone, i've learnt a ton more, became qualified in my spray painting apprenticeship, had my car keyed and my sisters boyfriend reverse into the rear quarter.

so i've decided to bring it back to its former glory and make it something to be proud of,
whole car is getting primed apart from the inside edges, the paint was perfect so i'll only be priming the outside panels.

car will be getting done in Clear over base this time instead of direct gloss, I won't be removing the plastics on the middle puller between both doors because they have a hard plastic cover thats brittle and i dont have time to order/replace a part that i dont know the price of, so they're staying but if it bothers me that much in the future i'll remove and repaint the inside edges, but i highly doubt that day will come.

Products;
Autothane HS primer
PPG deltron base coat
Standox Standard clear

Spray guns;
Iwatta W400 Belaria 1.4m tip base/clear
Iwatta A2Z 1.8m tip primer gun

Yep thats right, i'm mixing products but through out my time using over 5 different paint systems i've picked the best clear i've used at this point in time, yes i'm sure there is clears that would stomp all over the clear i'm using but this is what i had available and i've been using it for over a year, also ppg base is because i got it all for free so can't complain.

Anyway enough talk lets get into it!

Last edited:

leavz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Commodore
some photos before i started as well as the damage, you can't really see the key marks but they are definitely there

Rear quarter that was revered into, it'll be getting a new quarter fitted.

leavz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Commodore
Rear windscreen was removed

Whole car apart from the doors has been stripped, going to start priming everything, while i wait for primer to dry i'll be painting the roof to get it out of the way.

leavz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Commodore
Busy day today, didnt leave the shop till 1:30 am :rolleyes:

got the front end in primer, deleted the aerial hole, mixed up big batches of painted and painted the roof ;)

leavz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Commodore
Rubbed out the key marks, primed the doors then removed them, what a **** job it is to remove vy doors trying to not smash the pillars while you knock the pins out, dont know how i'm going to go putting new pins back into them with out marking the fresh paint :mad:

leavz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Commodore
Blocked the left hand rear quarter and rubbed the left hand pillar/inside door edges then masked and painted turned out "mint" ;)

also took this chance to paint boot hinges and bonnet hinges :D

on the last coat the PPS pot started dripping and dripped onto the pillar :mad::mad: so i dabbed it with a rag hit it with some hand 500 and had to build it back up to fill in the scratches and what not, wasn't very happy as it had stuff all dirt in the paint job at this point it was going perfect but just need to keep an eye on the pps pot next time :oops:

leavz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Commodore
Blocked the guards, outside of the bonnet and the bumper.

Painted the inside of the bonnet, both guards, bumper and bonnet garnish, turned out perfect.

I cant think of a colour that can be used for the secondary colour on the bumper/sideskirts so if you have ideas feel free to comment!!

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Leavz

Great thread and top work. A couple of questions.

You said you would be replacing the rear RH quarter panel and there are no pics of it replaced or repainted. Have you done all this work and the panel still needs replacing?

2nd question. What colour is that?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I cant think of a colour that can be used for the secondary colour on the bumper/sideskirts so if you have ideas feel free to comment!!

A dark silver or mid metallic grey might look alright.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
hope the pic works, but a really drank grey or black would look clean and tidy, and make people second guess its been sprayed.
12797649_1511768469129375_1663496179_n.jpg

would love to find a pic of it, but haven't had any luck, there was a Mint green VE HSV I used to see near on daily, and the colour looks awesome. Good choice of colour though.