Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Coilovers

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Hey guys,

Thinking about going getting XYZ Coilovers tomorrow, just wondering if anyone has fitted coilovers in their VY and has any photos of how low they can be adjusted?

Cheers,
Ben

Freedon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ss
can pretty much drop to the ground, i got mine sitting just below tyre level, can easily go another 2 inches

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
can pretty much drop to the ground, i got mine sitting just below tyre level, can easily go another 2 inches

That would be good because I have been worried that they won't go as low as I want to go

Interloper94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2
How high can they go? I want my car to sit around FE2 but I don't like driving a boat.
And wheres a good supplier of TEIN coilovers and do the VY ones come with the electronically adjustable damping?

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
How high can they go? I want my car to sit around FE2 but I don't like driving a boat.
And wheres a good supplier of TEIN coilovers and do the VY ones come with the electronically adjustable damping?

If you want FE2 height just use FE2 springs and fit decent shocks like Koni yellows or Bilsteins.
My senator runs on HSV Luxury springs (probably softer than SS FE2) and use Koni Yellows and 30/18mm sway bars.
The ride is still comfortable but believe me she still goes around corners better than any of my previous cars that used the usual lowered stiff springs and shocks like Monroes, padders, Kmac, ultimate etc.
I can set my Koni's soft or really stiff.
I used to play with settings, soft around town and stiffer for the highway but these days I set the fronts at 1.5 turns from soft on the front and 2 turns from soft on the rear and find the car has perfect neutral handling unless I use my right foot oversteer.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Got mine off eBay, whiteline bars.
Mine was a new 30mm adjustable front and i picked up a second hand 18mm rear otherwise I would have bought the 18mm adjustable one.

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2

I got my Tein super streets from GSL Rallysport. Have to adjust them by hand although I'm sure you can modify the hood to allow clearence for the motors.

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
Factory FE2 springs are soft as, even when brand new they fell short of the spring rate that Holden specifies. No doubt, second hand ones will be even softer (and lower, due to sag). Because of that, springs from the likes of King Springs built to the FE2 specification are a fair bit stiffer than factory FE2 springs. If I remember correctly the springs fitted to the sports HSV models (e.g. Clubsport, GTS) are stiffer and slightly lower than FE2. Not sure how the senator differs but I very much doubt it is any softer than FE2.

There is some good info on the actual spring rates of various aftermarket springs here:
King Spring Info

This is my car on King Springs 'Low Heavy Duty' (KHFL47HD and KHRL45HD) and KYB Excel-G shocks.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8503/8439824789_1fa17c4f3e_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8186/8434654868_93d4808c0b_b.jpg
It sits about 15mm lower than FE2 in the front and about 20mm lower in the rear as compared to another VY V6 with factory FE2. It is quite a bit stiffer than FE2. The step up in stiffness from FE2 to what I have is almost as significant as going from FE1 to FE2. Ride quality would be totally unacceptable to the average person. I still have FE1 swaybars front and rear, handling tends towards oversteer at low speeds (<40kmh) neutral at about 60kmh and slight understeer at speed (>80kmh). I would upgrade the front swaybar first and then decide if upgrading the rear is necessary. From what I hear, you want the softer adjustable front bar that Whiteline sell. The extra heavy duty one is too stiff for street use. A decent strut brace is probably also a good idea (not the factory one, they are as good as useless) - it won't make a significant change to handling, but it will help prevent cracking the seams on the strut towers due to having stiff suspension.

Last edited: