Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vy commo v6 to 6ltr ls2 conversion

rusty_nutz

Reaction score
Members Ride
03'vy wag
hi all btw i'm russ new to forum.
I have a bit of knowledge on cars do most stuff myself heads gearbox's ect,
i wanted to start a ongoing discussion about this type of conversion for knowledge for my self but others to.
So i have what a few of you would probably call dumb questions lol but here goes.
I currently have an 03'vy wag lowered on ssl's with wl stato front its a v6. I've gone out brought an 2015 ls2 6ltr an most of running gear.
loom, ecu, rad, box is a six speed, and i can salvage any other parts i need of the car one of many questions i have is
am i missing anything else I'd need from the vf for the conversion
and what type of dash would i need to fit to match up as obviously the standard one wont match the loom but the vf one wouldn't fit the origanal either right? can i source an adapter or will like a hsv one out of like an vy r8 fit?.
Now I've never done a conversion before i have a fully equip mech shop at my disposal for the work has this type of conversion been done before?
i know i will need a v8 k-frame but will a vy series one be OK or will i poss need to modify it?
by way of like the power steering rack placement an what not?.
and i can't get the diff out of the vf "gone already" but have one to put in out of an "03" monaro will that be good enough.
basically is their any major do's or dont's i need to watch out for i know it's going to be a job an a half but once done is going to be smick i can get any parts needed but can't cover cost of a shop doing it so must be done by my self.
So any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
my vy commo.jpg

Attachments

• my vy commo.jpg
    my vy commo.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 342

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Sorry can’t help with your conversion although I’m interested to see how u get on, do post lots of pics!! The engine you have is an L77 fyi not an LS2

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
go to commodore plus they have all the infomation about ls engine conversions, lot of there members are ex street commodores that was the one of best forums for modding a commy until it died and took all the info with it
https://www.commodoresplus.com.au/?post_type=forum

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
The Monaro diff will fit and should be an LSD
All VT Series II to VZ diffs, both V6 and V8 will interchange

The only diff assemblies that aren't a true 100% bolt in are:
# VT Series I diffs, as they had a flat 4 bolt flange (like a landcruiser) with a uni joint instead of the rubber flexible coupling/donut to connect to the diff...They can be modified to fit, but it really isn't worth the effort when you can easily source the correct 3 bolt item
# HSV diff....If my memory is correct, they were fitted with a larger 3 bolt flange....Not sure if they can be modified to fit....Again it would be easier to source the correct bolt in item

Last edited: