Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Commodore 3.8l V6 Backfire on Idle

Halon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY commodore S1 3.8l V6
Hi Guys

My VY commodore 3.8l V6 Has a Backfire on Idle issue. I have changed Fuel Filter, Plugs. Coil pack is working fine, but have not changed leads as yet.

However while checking i found that When the car is in Idle & Backfireing if i dissconnect the MAF sensor there is NO change..... The car still runs ....not even a slight change in revs.... is this a Faulty MAF? & is this issue consistant with the backfireing fault ?

the 'Check Engin' comes on Sometimes...NOT all the time.

Any Help will be much appreciated.

PS Took it to a Mech in Darwin.... he wants $180 just ro read fault codes & he cant do it for a Month. Typical of Darwin.

Halon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY commodore S1 3.8l V6
Update:

I re-set Fuel consumption average & drove the car for 20mins. On completion the reading was 68L/100km… before it was 11.5L/100km… so running very Rich. Then I set the dash display into Diagnostic mode to check Instantaneous fuel consumption…. That reading was over the roof…. So yep… she is running Rich.

There could be many issues. I suspect the MAF….. The computer not detecting correct airflow & is running the car rich which is its Protection mode. Ordered new MAF, new Leads, Plugs & O2 sensors…. Will see how that goes.