Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Commodore auto no gears

ArtyBarfuncle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
I recently replaced my transmission, it took awhile but i eventually got it in then bolted it up, but now it wont go into any gears nor make and noise while changing gears, i have double checked all plugs and the trans fluid is perfect, the inhibitor switch a lined, but while the car is started and changing threw the gears their is not actions indicating the transmission is responding too the gear shifts what could be causing this?

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Did you fit the torque converter correctly, you can damage the pump in the transmission if the converter is not located correctly in the transmission.

ArtyBarfuncle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
its been way to hot and i have been flat out with work but the trans come out of the same year car the torque converter seems to be different the old 1 has 3 notches missing from the teeth on the center chamber and the one that come with the motor has non missing the trans slipped right in, i took the trans off again and retryed everything as gently as possible but now im facing the starter motor not being able too turn over the car so im gonna have yet another look at it and see where im going wrong.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Sounds like the torque converter is not fitted properly into the transmission. How did you fit the converter?

Azzacook

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy commodore
Anybody know how to install the cooler lines back into the gearbox? Do you put the c clip into the nut then push the line into it? Does bottom go to bottom of radiator? Top go to top of radiator?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
You have to fit the convertor into the box while turning it till it clunks in 3 times then bolt the trans to the engine and then pull the convétir forward into the flexplate if you don't you will smash the pump in the gearbox.you may have got lucky and just bent the flexplate and might be able to take it off and spin the convertor till the pump drive locates and be away trucking but it could well be smashed