Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Commodore Broken into :( !!!!!!!!!NO ALARM ACTIVATED!!!!!!!!!!

VYCamo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive Series II
Just had some f*&#ing lowlife bastard break into my car at a shopping centre carpark, put a brick through the back drivers side window,
Stolen:
Sony DVD XAV-W1 Media Centre Head unit
Ipod adapter for sony head unit
Ipod Classic 120GB
Neon lighting kit

What bothers me the most is the fact that despite a window being smashed with 2 joined bricks (spraying glass all through the car, and over the roof/boot) NO alarm had been activated, the car unlocked as normal, anyone know any tech reasons as to why no alarm was activated???????????

(Thank god i deadlock it, cut the bastard that stole it to bits when he must have climbed back out, DNA will hopefully prove helpfull for forensics tommorrow)

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
yeah the alarm isnt connected to the windows which is kind of **** upgrade for me soon ;)

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
if the car was not deadlocked the alarm would of gone off when the locks were released

you can proove this method by locking it with the remote whith the window rolled down then unlocking it manually by pulling the latch up

VYCamo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive Series II
:O Cheers for the answers, Wasnt aware there were no window sensors, definitly doing my research on an aftermarket alarm system then,
@Evilmonkey: Thats a good point, but theres pro's and cons of deadlocking, since the bastard cut himself forensics went over the blood, and found a match, so he'll probably be caught, con is that the alarm wouldnt arm.

Anyways guys, cheers for the answers, definitly a wake up call to tighten up on the car security a bit...

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Thanks VYCamo, i always deadlock my car. I knew the alarm wouldn't go off, but firstly it's a pain in the ass getting into a deadlocked car (and you can see why now). But my windows are also harder to smash in through. If your looking at getting tint, ask if it strengthens the glass (as well as making it harder to see in [e.g. i've parked at a shopping centre, had a GPS just under the factory head unit and 2 laptops on the back seat, but you couldn't see them easily!]).

Sucks to loose all that, i havn't put my head unit in yet, wondering if i should or just sell it LOL

How did you install the head unit? Obviously it wasn't done right, because you can secure them pretty easy in the VY's.

lil_mickey

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 253 :-)
How did you install the head unit? Obviously it wasn't done right, because you can secure them pretty easy in the VY's.

Or was it done right?
I saw a while ago that if its too secure they will just try and smash up the dash around it, sometimes that cost a hell of allot more than a head unit. Especialy a custom dash or one like the VY with lots of parts to replace.

Once they get the head unit they normally take off so they wont get caught, leaving minimal damage...

In your case it sounds like you got 1 broken window and some audio stuff taken which is bad enough, but it could have been worse.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Or was it done right?
I saw a while ago that if its too secure they will just try and smash up the dash around it, sometimes that cost a hell of allot more than a head unit. Especialy a custom dash or one like the VY with lots of parts to replace.

Once they get the head unit they normally take off so they wont get caught, leaving minimal damage...

In your case it sounds like you got 1 broken window and some audio stuff taken which is bad enough, but it could have been worse.
How long do you think people stay in a car that's been broken into? Whether or not the alarms going off? With alarm it used to be a maximum of 20 seconds! Without was a little longer, but still enough to deter them from getting a head unit worth more than the dash surround. Usually nowadays if they can't get the head unit out and they can see it not budging they'll give up because they usually dont have tools to remove it quickly. A professional installation can definatly secure your head unit.

Ado

Are we there yet?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vsII statesman L67
Just had some f*&#ing lowlife bastard break into my car at a shopping centre carpark, put a brick through the back drivers side window,
Stolen:
Sony DVD XAV-W1 Media Centre Head unit
Ipod adapter for sony head unit
Ipod Classic 120GB
Neon lighting kit

What bothers me the most is the fact that despite a window being smashed with 2 joined bricks (spraying glass all through the car, and over the roof/boot) NO alarm had been activated, the car unlocked as normal, anyone know any tech reasons as to why no alarm was activated???????????

(Thank god i deadlock it, cut the bastard that stole it to bits when he must have climbed back out, DNA will hopefully prove helpfull for forensics tommorrow)

Sorry to hear mate,hope you get the person.

Ado

Are we there yet?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vsII statesman L67
Thanks VYCamo, i always deadlock my car. I knew the alarm wouldn't go off, but firstly it's a pain in the ass getting into a deadlocked car (and you can see why now). But my windows are also harder to smash in through. If your looking at getting tint, ask if it strengthens the glass (as well as making it harder to see in [e.g. i've parked at a shopping centre, had a GPS just under the factory head unit and 2 laptops on the back seat, but you couldn't see them easily!]).

Sucks to loose all that, i havn't put my head unit in yet, wondering if i should or just sell it LOL

Tint or no tint,two bricks will win in the end.