Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Commodore Executive LPG Surging

lanerj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
Newbie here,

Just bought an Exec Commodore VY. When I take off in LPG she surges quite a bit and sounds like backfiring sometimes. Blew apart the airbox and pipes yesterday, just replaced. Now it is also shuddering / surging in petrol when under mild acceleration, when I gun it it goes ok. LPG goes ok when over 80kms ish and not overloading the engine.

Any ideas?

I am thinking might need injector / carbon clean?

Cheers all ;)

statey1975

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman
Sounds like you have a mixer system? (ie LPG is introduced via the airbox, rather than injected straight into the inlet manifold)

Get a tune up to start with, the backfiring happens when the valves are slightly open when the spark plugs trigger, and because the LPG is being introduced at the airbox, it ignites all the way back to the box.

I've heard of people drilling a hole in their airbox, then covering it with electrical tape (to stop dust getting in). Then if you do get a backfire, it just blows the tape away instead of blowing up your airbox. I've never done it myself, so not sure how well it works.

As for the issue you're having on petty, hope the explosion hasn't damaged anything else....

1991VNvacationer

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Vacationer 1971 HQ Kingswood
get a tune, if your in melbourne then use metro automotive gas centre. i took my car there and its all fixed up now.