Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Commodore Overheating, Rattling and Not Starting(?)

Exoaria

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
I purchased an Automatic VY Holden Commodore last week for $800.

At first, it was overheating a lot. It would constantly stall and no longer start for a while. A mechanic jump started the car and said that it'll briefly run (for no more than five minutes) before the metal expands again.

Upon inspection, it needed a new water pump, as coolant was pissing out of it as quickly as it was put in.

With a new pump installed it ran better, but after a couple days it'd start breaking down again. This time it didn't appear to be temperature related.

I don't know much about cars, but I'll do my best to explain what I am experiencing. There's two tanks, unleaded and LPG. The car has different issues depending on what it is running on.

LPG: The car will start smelling quite terribly after about ten minutes, and it will gradually begin to stall. The only way I can describe this is it feeling like the revs are dropping far too low when I pull up at a stop light. Eventually, the car will just stall at an intersection and not start for another fifteen minutes.

Unleaded: There appears to be a "sweet spot" which causes rattling. At first, it's not noticeable, but after five to ten minutes the rattling will increase with intensity. The rattling only occurs when I am accelerating with my foot only just pressing down. If I'm lightly touching the accelerator or giving it a decent push, it will not rattle. After fifteen minutes, the rattling will be consistent and if I accelerate, it will literally sound as if the car is about to fall apart. Once again, by this point it will usually just stall the moment I stop somewhere.

Some more observations:
- There appears to be a copper pipe, which may be associated with the gas that isn't hooked up to anything under the hood.
- Regardless of whether the car is running on petrol or gas, there is a "hissing" sound, when the accelerator is pressed.
- After a 20 minute drive, there appears to be vapour, not any kind of thick smoke, coming off a cream coloured box to the immediate right of the engine.
- When the car "stalled" on LPG the other day, it wouldn't start again until I ran it on petrol for a bit. Then it would start on gas again.
- Sometimes, the wheel feels difficult to turn on LPG. It doesn't feel like a power steering issue, it's similar to not having decent wheel alignment with the addition of the wheel just feeling a little too... firm.

I'm not quite sure whether to just trash the car now and buy a new one, or take it to get it fixed. But an outside opinion with the information I've provided would certainly be useful. What does this sound like to you? Obviously, it could be a number of things, but if it's something plausible to repair it may be beneficial for me to ask.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I hope it's registered in your name and properly insured.