Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy commodore sputtering under acceleration and when revving in neutral

Callan Carpenter

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy executive wagon
Hey guys,

So I've got a 2003 by Commodore wagon v6 and now every time I go to accelerate a bit I feel the back end sputter and it does it when I rev it in neutral as well, I'm lost as to what it could be do you guys have any ideas? I've heard it could be fuel pump but I've replaced that already and I've also read that it could be fuel pressure but I'm not too sure, don't really wanna take to a mechanic just yet but if I can't get it fixed I Will thanks.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Have you tried a new set of spark plug leads?

Callan Carpenter

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy executive wagon
Have you tried a new set of spark plug leads?
I'll pick up some new ones tonight or tomorrow, would new coils be a good idea as well cause I haven't replaced them since I bought the car and it had 140k on it and it's not got 190k?

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
get your favourite insulated pliers and pull the plug leads off the coils one at a time and see if they are all working the 1 that makes no change when you pull it off is the dud coil.

Callan Carpenter

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy executive wagon
get your favourite insulated pliers and pull the plug leads off the coils one at a time and see if they are all working the 1 that makes no change when you pull it off is the dud coil.
Alright mate I'll give it a go on my break mate or would I better off just changing all of them while I'm at it??

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
I like to know whats wrong before I go replacing stuff , that will get expensive real quick when you're replacing things that aren't the problem.

Callan Carpenter

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy executive wagon
I like to know whats wrong before I go replacing stuff , that will get expensive real quick when you're replacing things that aren't the problem.
Yea I mean if I find a dud one should I just replace them all?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Start with the leads first, you can always do with a new set if they haven't been replaced for a long time.
You could do the coil test as Boozer suggested but if you remove a lead and it makes no difference it could also mean the lead is stuffed.

Callan Carpenter

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy executive wagon
Start with the leads first, you can always do with a new set if they haven't been replaced for a long time.
You could do the coil test as Boozer suggested but if you remove a lead and it makes no difference it could also mean the lead is stuffed.
Yea I just tried the coils about an hour ago and when I took 3 out it didn't make much difference to the car so it didn't run as rough as the rest of them did I think that one could be stuffed, it ran a little rougher but not heaps nothing like the rest did so I'll replace that coil and if that does nothing I'll replace the lead

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Rather than potentially waste money, swap the suspect coil with another one on your car and see if the problem moves to where you put the suspect coil. If not, get new leads and as I said it wouldn't hurt to get new leads any way, they do need replacing from time to time.