Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vy commodore VS vs statesman

crowley3220

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs statesman
Hi guys I'm very new so sorry if this is misplaced but I was looking on car sales and both a Vs statesman v6 and a vy v6 commodore (both ecotec) have almost identical kw stats 147 for vs 152 for vy that's not that great a number but I own both a vs statesman and a vy commodore and there is an enormous difference in feel of power is this just my imagination or what...?

BOOST666

Classic not plastic
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
'79 VB SL/E 253, VY SS II
VY is lighter so will accelerate better, but there is really no comparison, I'd a have a nice tidy Stato over a pov pack VY any day of the week.

crowley3220

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs statesman
But not by much vy power to weight ratio is 98.1 w/kg (1526 kg)

Vs statesman is 97.2 w/kg (1513kg)
So the weight difference is that of a small child yet the difference in power seems quite substantial

I like statos too but the vy is more fuel efficient for the open road (I drive 50km to work each day lol and I'm only 19) so saving the Pennys count

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Those numbers are power from the engine, not at the wheels. Many other variables will come into play - weight mainly, engine and trans condition, diff ratio (if they're different) and wheel rolling diameter, etc...

crowley3220

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs statesman
Just trying to figure out what makes the difference in the feel of power so I can do it to my vs if the engines are so alike what is the thing separation them ecu?

crowley3220

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs statesman
Oh that makes sense didn't think about stuff like that (not incredibly mechanically knowledgeable haha)

So would upgrading diff ratios and stuff like that in the vy get any significant power increase?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Making the diff ratio taller won't give you any power increase but you'll gain acceleration and lose top end speed as a consequence. I don't believe the stock diff ratios for the VS and VY are any different though.

As for the 5kw power difference, that would really only be because of the tune in the VY.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Is your VY a manual?