Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY CONVERSION NEED HELP!!

VY1996

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S
Alright so recently ive purchased a 2003 VY s supercharged, long story short engines stuffed and im just looking to swap an ECOTEC v6 into it as my main concern is to save as much money as possible. High tech parts has an wrecked VY with a normal v6 ecotec they mention however that few things will need changing but offered little advice. My questions being:

Would it be cheaper purchasing a supercharged 6 rather than ECOTEC to install as itd supposedly drop straight in alone?

Other than the ECU and wiring harness what else would be required?

What troubles would be involved?

Please only comment if you are sure you know what you're talking about. Help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thankyou kind regards!!

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
You will need somebody with a Tech 2 to link the Ecotec ECU and the BCM in your car.

If it were me I'd just get another L67, will drop straight in with no extra effort.

H

harrop.senator

You can use the l67 loom the drivers side will be slightly longer but just ziptie it in place. They run a memcal board so get mark from commodoretune to burn an ecotec memcal to go into the l67 pcm.

VY1996

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S
(Noob alert!) Okay ive decided to take advice ivr got a deposit already down on a l67 engine out of a wreck with 139,xxx. Other than engine mounts what else should I grab that may wear in near future??

Last edited:

VY1996

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S
Apparently wont last long as theyre a often seeked motor going this arvo or tomorrow morning !! :0 advice???

Kind regards!

VY1996

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S
Already placed deposit need help EXTREMELY quick GOT DAYS ONLY. Payed a whopping 1950$ for the engine ALONE. ive been quoted

$1850!! For Labour TO SWAP the engine straight in straight out and to swap radius rod bushes aswell. Am I getting ripped? I cant afford the repairs and I will lose my deposit I need help asap! What should I be paying? Cannot afford this either way got kid on way more important responsibilities than this stupid car. Help is greatly GREATLY appreciated

Kind regards

H

harrop.senator

$1950s a lot for the motor on its own but I'm unsure what wreckings yards charge. $1850 labours definitely a joke. Removal and refit is usually 5-800 including gst.

junkyarddog87

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VG #008
I just replaced the engine in my vy II, as my first efi swap (I have done many carby engines over the years) I took it slowly and took mental notes of where everything went, took me a day and a half. I had been quoted from several places locally $750-$950 to remove and install, and managed to do it myself with a $200 repco toolkit, a borrowed crane and around $100 in supplies such as oil, coolant, loctite and oil filter, there was an added cost of about 5 busted knuckles..... Shop around you will find many places cheaper than your price in labor.

VY1996

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S
Thankyou so much for your advice ill definitely shop around more I tried to call a few places but most were shut around 5-6pm. The cheapest I could get was $1100. Its unfortunate that some people can happily attempt to rip their loyal customers around a grand...

Cant thank either of yous enough very glad Im not going through with them anymore :D ill call around monday for more opinions. Im guessing $1000-1100 for the entire job isnt too bad right??

Kind regards

H

harrop.senator

Isn't to bad but with a hoist the jobs 4-6 hours for professionals to be doing it with only 2 hours needing a second person so a thousand dollars could be about right by the time they work coolant , oil , exhaust gaskets etc into it.