Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

(VY) Coolant Pipe Burst? Overheating Engine

BakeTheTank

Phreddy-ed UP!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Series II
Hey Guys

Driving around last night,(first time in 8 hours) all of a sudden Engine Temp Error comes up on my Cluster. I pull over and check my coolant and its run dry, i fill it up, and let my engine cool. I take off again and the temperature starts getting extrememly high again, i pull over again. A burning clutch smell comes up and there is coolant under my battery and under my fuse box? (The coolant from before i refilled it, i assume what i refilled came out straight away or atleast wasnt getting to my engine)

IMG_0646.jpg

IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg

Help PLEASE!

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Hey Mate, Guessing you have checked all the hoses etc ? And is that red coolant im looking at ?
Check the heater tap, see if its cracked off, just because it sits near where the battery etc is

BakeTheTank

Phreddy-ed UP!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Series II
Hey Mate, Guessing you have checked all the hoses etc ? And is that red coolant im looking at ?
Check the heater tap, see if its cracked off, just because it sits near where the battery etc is

Nah i havent actually got in and checked them all, only had a quick look, what exactly does this heater tap look like? - im pretty bad when it comes to the engine

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
As already stated, the heater tap is a good place to start.

There is a possibility that one of the heater hoses has split very slightly and the leak is not obvious unless the engine is running and the water is under pressure. In the first photo you attached, you can see two hoses. The lower one is flared where it attaches to the water pump. Because it is flared, the hose wall is thinner and softer at that point and this is a weak spot in the hose. They can split and cause water loss pretty quickly. Check right around that part of the hose by feel, see if you can detect any wet spots on the hose or areas where you can feel your finger is pushing through the hose wall.

Even if the hose appears ok and isn't the problem this time round, and it turns out the heater tap is stuffed, you will have to disconnect this hose from the tap. If the car has a few k's on it, it's worth replacing that hose anyway - it's not expensive and will only add about five minutes to the whole job to replace it.