Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Crewman fuel economy

IbnBattuta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S UTE
Hi all,

Im new on here and just bought a VYII Crewman S a few weeks ago. Its the first Commodore (Commodore based) i've had. I was unable to find a dedicated Crewman section so assumed all questions would go here.

After filling it up a few times I have found the car consistently does 270kms on a tank of fuel with regular driving before the fuel gauge comes on. The computer shows 11.5-12l per 100km but there is no way I am achieving this with the kms I am doing.
When I filled it with 98 Octane fuel it actually did even less.

Does anyone know if these are normal figures for the Crewman?

Thanks in advance.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Pretty normal. The Crewman is a heavy lump and the Ecotec works pretty hard just lugging it around. We had a new VY Crewman when I was still working and it's poor economy was soon realised. The only suggestion I have would be the usual checks for plugs and leads and ensure tyre pressures are set around 36psi.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Hi all,

Im new on here and just bought a VYII Crewman S a few weeks ago. Its the first Commodore (Commodore based) i've had. I was unable to find a dedicated Crewman section so assumed all questions would go here.

After filling it up a few times I have found the car consistently does 270kms on a tank of fuel with regular driving before the fuel gauge comes on. The computer shows 11.5-12l per 100km but there is no way I am achieving this with the kms I am doing.
When I filled it with 98 Octane fuel it actually did even less.

Does anyone know if these are normal figures for the Crewman?

Thanks in advance.
My VZ gets about 400 (city)-600(country) kms on a tank.
They have a different motor though.

My VP ute used to have balls fuel economy like that though.
Looking back, plugging the car into a computer and checking the sensors etc would have been the better idea.

O2 sensors should be cheap and easy to change.
Plugs.
Air filter.
EGR, check that out. (They muck up a bit on the Ecotecs from memory.)
Give the intake a clean with a foaming cleaner (like the Suburu top end cleaner)
Are the Cats ok? Take it in to an exhaust shop where they can get a thermal reading before and after the cat.
Clean the throttle body.

Hope something works. The old Ecotec has to work quite hard to lug the car around.