Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vy dash into a vn

stainal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN belina
hey guys and gals,

im sure this has already been posted, but i was wondering if anyone has transplanted a vy dash and instruments into a vn.

if anyone could give me some info, it would be much appreciated.

thanks heaps
regards alan

2_SeeK_U

Wheels on the bus go round and round...
Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
Its not possible as the dash runs off the ecu which is different in the vy as to the vn. From VT's and on, the speedometer signal changed, this is one major reason why its not easy to mafless tune a vt ecotec with a vr ecu..

nick88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS Voodoo
what about a VS ecu, cause theyve got the ecotecs

pro_gmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
The VN's dont use Ecotecs, so they have differently programed ecu's. And what you need is a VY Alloytec ECU programed to run the Buick 3.8 (non ecotec). The reason you need a VY Alloytec ECU is to be able to run the VY dash speedo etc.
Also you still cannot use the VS ECU on a VN either as the VS ECU is programmed to run the Ecotec motor.

PS: Correct me if im wrong. VY's use the alloytec not the ecotech right???

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
The VZ uses alloytec because it uses an alloy block rather then cast iron, like previous commodores, which reduces the weight slightly.

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
The VY never got the alloytec, that was introduced with the VZ.

SVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
SVZ Commodore
fair enough but some ppl are dumping in the 190 alloytec motors in there cars so say u got one of those under the bonnet then is it possible to bolt the vz dash up in the cabin reason im curious is ive heard vn commodores going into vls so maybe i could pull this off for my project

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
fair enough but some ppl are dumping in the 190 alloytec motors in there cars so say u got one of those under the bonnet then is it possible to bolt the vz dash up in the cabin reason im curious is ive heard vn commodores going into vls so maybe i could pull this off for my project

Anyhting is possible, just depends how much dicking around and modifying of the dash you want to do. Im sure it can be done if you really want it to fit.

But no it wont be a direct fit.

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
dont way its not possible, its just time and money factor stoping you, i seen picture of a vk with a vy dash in and centre console, was all white looked diffrent, think it was in a SC magazine like car of the year under interior