Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Diff Cradle replacement option ?

OZ38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 T5 SDN & VY V6 M35 UTE
Gidday,

Anyone here know for certain if a VY SII Calais Diff cradle will fit into a VY SI ute as a direct no modifying replacement ?

Looking at utilizing the tie-rod option on the later VY calais series II cradle as even with the 4 point camber / toe kit installed on my lowered ute I still get the inside tyre wear problem. Replacing rears every 10,000 k's approx.

Here is a couple of pics of what I mean.

Cheers

Deek

VYSIICalaisCradle4.jpg

VYSIICalaisCradle3.jpg

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Hey Deek, having fitted a VYseries 2 cradle to a VYseries 1 car I would say that utes and sedans (and monaros and wagons for that matter!) would be interchangeable.

As long as the cradle mounting points are the same it would fit. AFAIK any track vriations between models come from different wheel offset and tyre combos.

OZ38

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey Deek, having fitted a VYseries 2 cradle to a VYseries 1 car I would say that utes and sedans (and monaros and wagons for that matter!) would be interchangeable.

As long as the cradle mounting points are the same it would fit. AFAIK any track vriations between models come from different wheel offset and tyre combos.

Yeah that basically what I'm asking - Are the mounting points between VY Utes & VY Sedans the same ?

The cradles look the same from from what I can tell in the pics, but I want to be certain before trying it.

I suppose I could ask Holden the part numbers for a VY sedan cradle & a VY ute cradle.

Cheers

Deek

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Holden would probably have different part numbers as per usual between the ute and sedan. Could you roughly jig the car on a hoist by hanging some plum lines from the bolts in the centre of the subframe mount locations and with a large piece of card underneath plot the mounting points by marker pen?

Then invert the new series 2 cradle on the card and measure the locating points. Big effort but well worthwhile mod IMO. Series 2 doesn't even need an aftermarket camber kit if you don't go ridiculously low. Look at my VY2 Deek, rears are straight up and down with plenty more adjustment available.

This is a question for commonut

taztassio

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S L67
they are the same.

there is some difference between vy2 cradles early and late, but only on some.

but its not mounting related.

check out my l67 thread for all the installs of bushes etc, i spent alot of time, money and effort doing this to my car.

OZ38

Reaction score
Members Ride
they are the same.

there is some difference between vy2 cradles early and late, but only on some.

but its not mounting related.

check out my l67 thread for all the installs of bushes etc, i spent alot of time, money and effort doing this to my car.
Thanks Taz,

I did see your My L67 thread & the effort you went to on it with the bushes etc.

So you are positive the VY S1 Ute cradle & a VY SII Calais cradle would be inter-changeable (apart from the S1 not having the Tie-rod links) ?

Cheers

Deek

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Also on Nicks late VY2 cradle it had some extra damping at the sub frame bush location. We cross referenced it to my VY2 Calais (albeit 03, not 04) and mine didn't have theses dampers.

Nicks car is pretty low and the rear camber is a thing of beauty, not to mention the light weight handling.

OZ38

Reaction score
Members Ride
Also on Nicks late VY2 cradle it had some extra damping at the sub frame bush location. We cross referenced it to my VY2 Calais (albeit 03, not 04) and mine didn't have theses dampers.

Nicks car is pretty low and the rear camber is a thing of beauty, not to mention the light weight handling.

Not real sure of what your meaning by "extra damping at the sub frame bush location" ?
Is that like maybe the big round plate like bushes were thicker, or there was more (numbers) of them ?

Don't suppose you guys took any pics of that difference ?

Cheers

Deek

taztassio

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S L67
if you check my thread you might see them.

they are shaped like a D, and are infront and inside edge near the large subframe bush.

im very surprised the vy1 ute didnt have tie-rods. in sedans its standard from vx2 onwards

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I really for the life of me can't see any reason why that wouldn't go into a VP/S irs too but everyone tells my they wont, it must be seriously a case of ALMOST :)