Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Driver's Seat

highflya

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY '03 SS
Hey

I've got a problem with the electric seat. I can't seem to get the seat to move up and down. I have been told that its a motor issue ?? Anybody know what the cost of replacement would cost?

Cheers

Junny

purrrrrr
Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII Maloo + shitty painted vp
Hey

I've got a problem with the electric seat. I can't seem to get the seat to move up and down. I have been told that its a motor issue ?? Anybody know what the cost of replacement would cost?

Cheers

might be the fuse

highflya

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY '03 SS
checked the fuse. i wish it was it..

StormVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Storm Ute
I have the exact same problem. I can tilt backwards and forwards but not raise or lower it.

My mechanic told me to pull the seat out and check the wiring under it. It's been raining since then so havent had a chance.

Junny

purrrrrr
Reaction score
Members Ride
I have the exact same problem. I can tilt backwards and forwards but not raise or lower it.

My mechanic told me to pull the seat out and check the wiring under it. It's been raining since then so havent had a chance.

mine only has lets say, a front up/down and a back up/down. isnt that tilting? or u mean tilting the backrest?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
mine only has lets say, a front up/down and a back up/down. isnt that tilting? or u mean tilting the backrest?

JUnny

You have what is called the 4 way power seat, the same as the Utes. The power backrest (8 way power seat), only comes in Calais and up.

You can check your wiring without removing the seat, simply raise it to the highest setting you can achieve and look under from the front.

There are two motors, each with two wires feeding them. The wiring runs straight back into the switch which is screwed to the inside of the side trim. One motor controls the front raise/lower adjustment, the other motor the rear adjustment.

To test the wiring, remove a power plug from one motor at a time - they are a simple push on fitting. Use a test light while you operate the switch to see if the switch is working correctly for each motor.

If you get power to your test light on both circuits, then one of the motors is stuffed and this test will tell you which one.

Junny

purrrrrr
Reaction score
Members Ride
he did say he cant get it up or down. :yeah:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
he did say he cant get it up or down. :yeah:

Yep, and I said to raise it to the highest level he can achieve. If neither motor works, then he's already at that level, but if one still works, then he still might be able to raise the seat for more working space. One motor controls front lift and lower, the second controls rear lift and lower. If both motors are out of action, then it's probably the switch or a wiring fault. You can still look under the seat to see if anything is obvious, even if you can't raise it. Unless it's set at the lowest setting both front and rear, there is room to work and you can still remove the wiring connectors from both motors and run the test I suggested.

StormVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Storm Ute
I have a manual knob to control the back and a automated switch for the seat.
When I tilt the switch forward the front of the seat lowers and the back raises. Vice versa when I tilt the switch backwards.
My problem is that I am 2m tall and the drivers seat is noticably higher than the passengers. The tilting doesnt do much to raise or lower the height of the seat. I have been in other cars that have a feature when if you push the switch straight down or up the seat goes down or up.
Ill check what Calaber suggested when my brother gets back with the ute.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I have a manual knob to control the back and a automated switch for the seat.
When I tilt the switch forward the front of the seat lowers and the back raises. Vice versa when I tilt the switch backwards.
My problem is that I am 2m tall and the drivers seat is noticably higher than the passengers. The tilting doesnt do much to raise or lower the height of the seat. I have been in other cars that have a feature when if you push the switch straight down or up the seat goes down or up.
Ill check what Calaber suggested when my brother gets back with the ute.

It sounds like you only have one motor working. If you're lucky, it might only be a loose connection on the other motor.