Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Ecotec into VS supercharged Statesman

TimWalton

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Lexcen (VP Commodore) wagon
Hi all,

This one is a bit backwards to the usual conversion that you see people asking about and, as such, I haven't been able to find any info about it.

A bloke I work with has asked if I can swap the buggered supercharged motor out of his VS Statesman (which also has no gearbox) with the NA Ecotec and gearbox from the VY that he also has. I know it's not as simple as dropping the motor and box in, so I want to know if it's feasible, or even possible, to do it.

- Will the VS supercharger ecu communicate with a basic V6 and later model gearbox?

Or

- Will a Statesman dash harness plug into, and work with, a VY ecu?

Has anyone ever done this? The more I think about it, the deeper this job gets and I'd like to know if it's doable before I start swinging spanners.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
An ecotec and L67 are basically the same engine just some of the bits that bolt on are a bit different. You would need to use all the VS wiring on the VY engine. There are a few minor differences with the transmission (mainly the cooler lines and the shift linkage) but that too can work. The VS uses 2 different temp sensors where the VY only has one and you will need both on the VS. You will need to use the VS exhaust manifolds too. It's definitely do-able. VY ecotec will also have the EGR system which the VS doesn't so I'd just delete it as there is no provision on the VS exhaust or electrical/tuning side for it.