Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vy ecotec sump plug

fullysickvyute

Reaction score
my vy ute desperately needs an oil change and i went to remove the plug but it was on so tight that i burred it. my mate says he can remove it with a chisel and hammer but i need to buy a replacement. which one of the sump plugs in the attached picture would fit (ecotec)? or should i just get one from holden dealership?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    438.3 KB · Views: 1,563

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
If your not sure GMH is probably your best shot.

Did you not use the correct spanner it? Using wrong spanners or shifters is the very best things to ruin things.
Be sure to put the new one on properly using the correct spanner, and just nip it up.

fullysickvyute

Reaction score
i made sure to use the right spanner, 19mm, and also tried socket wrench but neither worked.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Was either the socket or the spanner a 6-point or a multipoint? Unless the bolt is well and truly ####ed, a 6-point will get it off.

I'd be a bit concerned about using a hammer and chisel on the pan bolt. The bolt is pretty strong and I would be worried about bending the oil pan and ruining its seal.

Have you tried a pipe wrench?

fullysickvyute

Reaction score
the bolt is well and truly ####ed. has rounded edges and im going to have to get it off one way or another whether it be chisel or drill

Interloper94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2
"but it was on so tight that i burred it" you can be honest mate, ya slipped.
A tight bolt doesnt magically round itself because its tight, you gotta make sure to keep the socket on there as deep as possible.
When I first started servicing my car I had to use a 600mm breaker bar to get it movin.
a chisel and hammer certainly seems like a good way to make a simple problem a lot worse, go to a mechanic to get it fixed.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
FWIW I always use a strong metal pipe about 500mm long over the appropriate spanner to undo the sump plug on my VE to get lots of leverage, even though I only ever nip the sump plug up before the new oil goes in.

It's called "Mechanical sympathy".