Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy ecotec surging issue after fitting manifold spacer

cracky11234

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy commodore
Hey guys I thought I'd repost this in here.. i have got a vy commodore ecotec. I got given a 25mm manifold spacer but it was to suit a vs ecotec. So I sourced a vs intake manifold and plenum and changed it over. As for the vs manifold not having the egr valve I just crimped the metal pipe on mine, I wasn't sure if this was going to cause and issues or not I just thought what the heck.. So I put it all back together correctly and It seems to start and run okay but when you drive it and put your foot down it starts surging like it's struggling for fuel? And won't rev out or anything? Drives fairly normal if you keep the revs down but when you try open it up it starts surging really bad? Also the check engine light comes on every now and then, although it has done this before with the original manifold but seems to happen more frequently now. Any idea on what the problem could be? Thanks

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Do a fault code check and it should reveal what is going wrong. Possibly a TPS issue or maybe MAF.

Also, only one thread required (and a little patience)...

cracky11234

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy commodore
Okay then I'll look into it. And sorry about that, i thought I posted the other one in a different category. Thanks I'll let you know how I go

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Don't know if I mission something but doesn't the ECU need the EGR to help calibrate air flow? This has the effect of reducing the temperatures within the combustion chambers as well, Although it is not illegal to remove the EGR from your vehicle, it is an offence under the Road vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations (Regulation 61a(3))1 to use a vehicle which has been modified in such a way that it no longer complies with the air pollutant emissions standards it was designed to meet.

Anyway I be looking at your connectors on your TPS or IAC and MAF for tightness and clean surface and look for splits in your intake pipe.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Should just put it back the way it was with a correct spacer for around 150-200 for your car problem solved and your ECU wont go crazy.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Should just put it back the way it was with a correct spacer for around 150-200 for your car problem solved and your ECU wont go crazy.

Seeing as the OP said this problem did occur before the fitting of the manifold and spacer I doubt that modifying the egr caused the problem and I know that modifying the egr system does not stuff up the running of the engine.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Seeing as the OP said this problem did occur before the fitting of the manifold and spacer I doubt that modifying the egr caused the problem and I know that modifying the egr system does not stuff up the running of the engine.
Apparently it wasn't surging before swapping manifolds around though.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey guys I thought I'd repost this in here.. i have got a vy commodore ecotec. I got given a 25mm manifold spacer but it was to suit a vs ecotec. So I sourced a vs intake manifold and plenum and changed it over. As for the vs manifold not having the egr valve I just crimped the metal pipe on mine, I wasn't sure if this was going to cause and issues or not I just thought what the heck.. So I put it all back together correctly and It seems to start and run okay but when you drive it and put your foot down it starts surging like it's struggling for fuel? And won't rev out or anything? Drives fairly normal if you keep the revs down but when you try open it up it starts surging really bad? Also the check engine light comes on every now and then, although it has done this before with the original manifold but seems to happen more frequently now. Any idea on what the problem could be? Thanks

I read that as the problem occurring before the manifold swap.

Maybe the OP can clarify?