Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY electrical fault draining battery help please!!

J.T

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY
I have a 2004 VY and was recieving warning that fault with alternator and battery light was coming up. Have tested alternator and it is working, (well was charging when read it) charged up battery and after a day it went flat. Thought it was battery so changed battery but now ABS warning comes up and all instrument guages are intermitent. they work one moment then drop to zero the next. The brakes work fine throughout the whole process though. fault only started a few days ago. could someone please give me some pointers as to what to look for? Thankyou.

iaydemir

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Berlina
Had the same issues, the alternator light was intermittently coming on, along with the abs, airbag lights etc and the car went into limp mode a couple of times.

The cause of mine were due to the alternator brushes being worn hence the alternator charging intermittently. It's worth giving it a quick check, its not hard and the brushes are cheap to replace.

Last edited:

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
You do not mention how many kms your car has covered and if it is still running the original alternator but I assume it is the original.

If your alternator was charging correctly then the alternator warning should not have displayed. You have eliminated any battery issue by installing a new one.

From what you have described in your post, I would replace the alternator.

J.T

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY
Car has done 120,000 kms, when reading voltage on battery it increased when car was running. the more i think about it, it may be intermittent and I read it when it was working.

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
I recently had similar - replaced the 'module' in the alternator. It was easy as, and cost I think $60? Pretty easy to remove yours and check wear on the brushes.

iaydemir

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Berlina