Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy electrical issue.

Joeyrom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Wagon
Hi, had a search of the forums and got some ideas of where to start looking. But figured I'd see if there where any other tips specific to my issue.

Driving the other day I had the battery light on the dash flicker on for a few seconds, I had srs light and traction control off come up. Went away, drive for a few more minutes happened again. No loss of power. Same thing today but this time the stock radio turned off for a few seconds.

I had the battery voltage reading up on the dash after this happened and the voltage is good, at least when the issue isn't occurring. I have a near brand new battery in there.

Now, I did have an issue a while ago where one of the tail lights wasn't working correctly, I ended up running another earth cable for it. So I assume this might be a continuation of an earth issue. But figured I'd get some thoughts on what else to check. Also, can you still short out a plug under the steering column to get error codes on the vy?

Cheers.

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Need a aldl cable for a vy $75 on ebay have you cleaned the connections to your battery ?

Joeyrom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Wagon
I'll be starting to narrow it down this arvo. Starting with cleaning earths. Figured I'd ask for any pointers. Seems it can be anything from earth, alternator, abs, speed sensor, one of the seat cables etc.

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
yeah better off trying the simple things 1st or a bunch of salesman will jump on and convince you you need this or that and its cheap and mayaswell replace it see how it goes lol...im not sure if these have a bcm but i read a lot of posts with your kind of problems in the vz section and its mostly the bcm or ecu playing up but havnt seen it so much with the vys so proberly something else like an earth as you say

Joeyrom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Wagon
Cheers for the tip. I'll sand and reseat all the earths and look some other stuff over. Hopefully I can get it to happen while I have the voltage reading up to see if the alternator isn't slowly coking out. Just seems weird that it looks to be a power supply issue but the car drives normally while it happens.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Sounds like one of the earth wires off the battery for the radio to go off..

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Those systems will be shut down by the computer when charge is low. This will trigger the warnings you saw.

I'd guess that the alternator is buggered.

Joeyrom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Wagon
I figured the car would have stalled or spluttered if that was the case. But I just cleaned the contacts and the issue is still there. I didn't catch what other lights came up, but the battery light did flicker a few times on the 7 minute drive home. I think I may just take it to be diagnosed and make a decision. Don't really want to go on a wild goose chase.

Joeyrom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Wagon
Oh, forgot to add. I managed to have the voltage reading up when it happened, it was at 13.8/13.9 with air con on. Relatively stable at 14 with air con off.