Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy electrical issue.

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Oh, forgot to add. I managed to have the voltage reading up when it happened, it was at 13.8/13.9 with air con on. Relatively stable at 14 with air con off.
Did you try revving it see if it goes too high overcharging regulator should keep it consistent

Joeyrom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Wagon
Yeah, tried it. It touches 14.1 seems the regulator is fine. I'm just hoping it's not the computer or something major. I was thinking speed sensor or something knocking about, but I pulled over when it first happened and was still getting the flickering battery light. It might be a hard thing to test, but from the few times it's happened it may only happen after the car has warmed up.

Joeyrom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Wagon
It doesn't last very long. Comes and goes in the space of a 3 to 5 seconds. The lights and warnings aren't consistently on. It's all flicker.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The car won't splutter.
It's a protective part of the cars programming when voltage gets low to isolate systems using power and redirect it to provide essential operation of the engine.

I'm betting this comes down to battery or alternator.

Both should be load tested.

Joeyrom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Wagon
Sorry, the splutter comment was to the other guy about the loose cable. I used the onboard battery voltage reading and it gave good results even during when the lights were coming on in the dash. It does make sense that it would be a battery/alternator issue though as thats the first light to come on and last to go off, sometimes the only one. Maybe I should hook up a multimeter direct rather than use the onboard voltage reading.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I recently had an issue with mine. I used a multimeter to test the voltage and it seemed fine. However when my trusted mechanic load tested it, it failed. New battery and problem fixed.

The VE used to always get a flat battery back when we bought it.
Holden did a software update on the charging system and fixed the problem.

Many years later, the alternator failed and the same traction control, ABS warnings etc came up because the cars computer was isolating systems not essential to keep the car running.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Sounds like a regulator starting to break down when it warms up.. Change it see how you go..

Joeyrom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Wagon
I'm just not seeing how the voltage is the issue if its showing correct voltage when the issue happens. I'd assume there'd be a dip. But I'll do another test run and take it in to get diagnosed and update the thread for anyone else looking.

Joeyrom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Wagon
Little update. Didnt have anything light up on the way to work but the voltage did drop down to 13.1 while waiting at some lights and then again at another set. While parking up at work I pumped the air con and turned the high beams on and she dropped to 12.8. While driving it was a solid 13.8/13.9. I'll probably throw a new alternator on and see what happens.

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Little update. Didnt have anything light up on the way to work but the voltage did drop down to 13.1 while waiting at some lights and then again at another set. While parking up at work I pumped the air con and turned the high beams on and she dropped to 12.8. While driving it was a solid 13.8/13.9. I'll probably throw a new alternator on and see what happens.
you might be able to get away with just replacing the regulator on the alternator if its replaceable be a fraction of the price