Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy factory manual or buy auto and convert?

vnsmanual

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S Manual
Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting a vy v6 manual sedan.
I've been looking and their is very little I'n the way of manuals and when you find one there stuffed and are expensive as.

Ive seen some good low k Vy autos for around $7000-$8500.
My question is am I not looking hard enough for a Vy manual? Or am
I better of with a auto and converting, what's needed for the conversion.

-gearbox
-pedal set up
- new tune
- some rewirng.

Does the getrag box just bolt up?
Is a new tailshaft needed?

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
your better off to just find a manual....
might take longer but soooo much easier

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s m5 supercharged
Get a factory manual.

There are quite a few on car sales from $12k to $17k for a "s"

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
definatley just find a manual one it will cost you more if you buy an auto and convert.

vnsmanual

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S Manual
Will it really cost more?
Buy a decent Vy for 7500,
Then gearbox $500 - $1000
Pedal set up: $250
Other bits and peices: mounts ect $500

Which is still ten grand. I'll be doing all the work myself, all except for the re tune of the computer of course.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
there is alot of differences in the electronics side of things between the two, its far easier to just buy a manual to start with, then you could buy an auto engine and re spec it with the manual ones parts should it blow up.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Something alot of people forget is that, Ecotec have different Cranks for manual/auto. The manual cranks have 2 extra holes for dowel pins, most people that do conversions dont worry about the dowels but in my opinion best to get dowel holes drilled into the crank. It is alot of stuffing around sometimes, so be weary if you want to do a conversion

Stefan23

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Commodore S *Manual*
Yeah, VY Manuals are very hard to find, 1) with low kms, 2) in SA and 3) in good condition.

I was very lucky to find mine, purchased my '03 VY S pack manual back in January. It had done 116,000kms and had been extremely well taken care of. I paid $13K for it, but it was well worth the money.
Honest word, no scratches or dents on the body, interior was very clean too, just one small split on the factory head unit, but hardly a big issue. Immaculate condition.
Best of luck to you.

VYute04

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 3.8ltr ute
i got lucky with my rig aye, i was looking for a V6 manual and just by luck it was the first car that i actually had a look at on the weekend i got my money together:) Dont regret buying a V6 at all

jr689

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VYII S 3.8L M5
Yea I'd recommend just hanging out for a factory manual without a doubt, I picked mine up from the government auctions for $9,500 with 110,000km's on the clock and in immaculate condition...

Manual V6's can be really expensive as your paying a premium cause they are relatively rare and every P plater wants one! I didn't even look on carsales and what not when I was searching for mine cause I knew it wouldn't be worth it so I just kept actively looking at the auctions for about 3 months and quite a few popped up surprisingly!