Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Factory sub amp wiring?

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
I am going to upgrade the factory amp that drives the subs in the parcel sheld. Working out the power wires will no doubt be pretty easy - but how can I identify L/R +/- speaker wires?

cheers

Luke0011

Car Audio Installer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005
By looking at the colour of the wires going into the parcel shelf speakers

keeny

keeny
Reaction score
Members Ride
BAGGED 04 VY SS S2 HBD MANUAL UTE
i can get u the colours later on from my wiring diagrams i used to tap my aftermarket amp and sub into.

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
Thanks keeny - but I have worked it out - new amp installed and great results! As luke0011 suggested, I looked at the wires on the subs in the parcel shelf to get the outputs, , then worked out the inputs using a bit of trial and error and the head unit balance control...

the thing that surprised me is that there is no remote/accessory power.

Cheers

Last edited:

keeny

keeny
Reaction score
Members Ride
what kind of new amp are u running and are you still using the factory subs? and as subs?. i want to put a new amp in mine and replace my factory subs with 6x9s.

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
got a 4 x 75w amp - using 2 channels to drive the factory subs (as subs) and it's great - better than 6x9s IMHO. I am going to use the other 2 channels of the amp to drive the front speakers - using lpf so I can wind them up a bit without distortion and lift the front end.

keeny

keeny
Reaction score
Members Ride
very nice im gonna have to look into it.

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
Amping the factory subs is the cheapest/easiest mod I have ever done to lift a car stereo - I did it in my last car as well (VX Calais) THe wiring is essentially all there, and you don't need massive power to add a nice amount of kick.

Incidentally - the factory sub amp in the VY has adjustable gain on it - try winding that up for a preview of how much nicer the sound can be with a better amp...

keeny

keeny
Reaction score
Members Ride
i can do that on my vz too. but with the aftermarket 12 inch and amp it kinda doesnt compare. however id like a clearer sound all round and atm the subs in the parcel shelf do me no good. since the factory subs run tap off the rear speaker feed ill just add a 2 channel amp and 6x9s and hopefully that will give me what im looking for.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Incidentally - the factory sub amp in the VY has adjustable gain on it - try winding that up for a preview of how much nicer the sound can be with a better amp...

Turning the gain up will do nothing but make the subs louder at a lower volume on the head unit. Gain controls have nothing to do with power output, or sound quality.

Last edited: