Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Flat Key

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
ok so didnt want to necro an old thread.

have a vy calais key worked fined this morning not tonight cant unlock the car. appears the key wont open the door either...

tried to open the key but not like a vs key they are glued shut and the battery is welded in there.

can you buy them coded or have to get them coded? do they need the old key to do it? if i buy the key do you get the black bit and the key or just the black bit?

can i put a battery in the old key and keep it as a spare or is it useless when its gone flat?

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
Deleted. 10 words blah blah blah

Last edited:

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Or to question the above and you're not good with solder, it's $90 for a key fob + $65 to code the key (when it takes them two seconds to do it).

Depending how comfortable you feel you can do the above, but keep in mind the Key shells are stuck very very well together and to get in they actually snap apart and need to be glued back together.

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
For future reference, buy a new key off ebay and I can program them for $30 (if you're in Vic)

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
I know for a fact that Mister Minit do a spare key for about $120 if you have an existing working one. If you don't have an existing working one you need Holden or a proper locksmith to code it properly, about $180 when I enquired a couple of years back.

That is what happened to my mate recently with his Statesman.
He only had 1 key and it died, took it to our local locksmith who has done keys for both me and my son, but because the key was flat could not changeover the code.
So car spent a whole day at Holden having a new key coded to the cars BCM for $180 incl new key remote.
Holden say a new key takes between 1-6 hrs to reprogram and that his was one of the longer ones.
Btw he had to get it towed to Holden.

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
My factory original key wouldn't work....flat I presumed. I went to super cheap auto (repco has them also) and picked up aftermarket shell (the black part of key). I pryed the original key apart and removed internal circuitry and key blade, then installed in new shell which clicks together and isn't glued. Installed new battery at same time.

Total cost was under $30. Around $20 for the shell and under $10 for new energiser good quality battery.

No programming required....no Holden tech required....no tech2 required....no paying huge dollars for simple task.

Yes the aftermarket key feels a different texture to the original....but it's just a key and does the job perfectly.

Here is the link to new key shell: MAP Key Remote Button & Shell Replacement - VS-VZ Commodore 3 Button, KF203 - Supercheap Auto Australia

dabs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 commodore
I worked at a Holden dealer as a mechanic and I can tell you it takes about 10 min to programe a new key.
Sorry for the bad news

Cheers

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
I worked at a Holden dealer as a mechanic and I can tell you it takes about 10 min to programe a new key.
Sorry for the bad news

Cheers

It sounds like reprogramming a new key is low on their priority list because I've heard similar stories on various forums of Holden taking at least half a day to reprogram a new key.
I've been lucky enough to have never have to use Holden or HSV to do a dead key, as I've always had at least one key with some power left in it.

dabs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 commodore
We used a hand held computer called Tech 2 it's simple to programme. Unscrew key from head and screw new head on turn ignition on and programme. Takes about 10 minuets but not much of a money spinner. When I started with Holden we would programme the keys or get the radio security code for free but some bean counter seen a loss of money and not the happy customer that we seen. I always enjoyed the thanks from customers when they got something so small for free. Those day are gone :(