Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Flat Key

Discussion in 'VY Holden Commodore (2002 - 2004)' started by B-Man, Nov 15, 2015.

1. B-Man

B-Man Member

Members Ride:
    VY Calais S2
    ok so didnt want to necro an old thread.

have a vy calais key worked fined this morning not tonight cant unlock the car. appears the key wont open the door either...

tried to open the key but not like a vs key they are glued shut and the battery is welded in there.

can you buy them coded or have to get them coded? do they need the old key to do it? if i buy the key do you get the black bit and the key or just the black bit?

can i put a battery in the old key and keep it as a spare or is it useless when its gone flat?

2. DLFHUB666

DLFHUB666 GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!

Members Ride:
    VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
    Deleted. 10 words blah blah blah

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  3. DevilDRake

DevilDRake Braaaap

Members Ride:
    2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
    Or to question the above and you're not good with solder, it's $90 for a key fob + $65 to code the key (when it takes them two seconds to do it).

Depending how comfortable you feel you can do the above, but keep in mind the Key shells are stuck very very well together and to get in they actually snap apart and need to be glued back together.

4. franklinfrog

franklinfrog Member

Members Ride:
    VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
  5. Sandman

Sandman Challenge Accepted

Members Ride:
    HQ VC VZ
    For future reference, buy a new key off ebay and I can program them for $30 (if you're in Vic)

Myles_3000 likes this.
  6. Surfwagon

Surfwagon Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
    That is what happened to my mate recently with his Statesman.
    He only had 1 key and it died, took it to our local locksmith who has done keys for both me and my son, but because the key was flat could not changeover the code.
    So car spent a whole day at Holden having a new key coded to the cars BCM for $180 incl new key remote.
    Holden say a new key takes between 1-6 hrs to reprogram and that his was one of the longer ones.
    Btw he had to get it towed to Holden.

7. HoldenOnn

HoldenOnn Roll Cage Territory

Members Ride:
    VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
    My factory original key wouldn't work....flat I presumed. I went to super cheap auto (repco has them also) and picked up aftermarket shell (the black part of key). I pryed the original key apart and removed internal circuitry and key blade, then installed in new shell which clicks together and isn't glued. Installed new battery at same time.

Total cost was under $30. Around $20 for the shell and under $10 for new energiser good quality battery.

No programming required....no Holden tech required....no tech2 required....no paying huge dollars for simple task.

Yes the aftermarket key feels a different texture to the original....but it's just a key and does the job perfectly.

Here is the link to new key shell: MAP Key Remote Button & Shell Replacement - VS-VZ Commodore 3 Button, KF203 - Supercheap Auto Australia

8. dabs

dabs New Member

Members Ride:
    VY V6 commodore
    I worked at a Holden dealer as a mechanic and I can tell you it takes about 10 min to programe a new key.
    Sorry for the bad news

Cheers

9. Surfwagon

Surfwagon Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
    It sounds like reprogramming a new key is low on their priority list because I've heard similar stories on various forums of Holden taking at least half a day to reprogram a new key.
    I've been lucky enough to have never have to use Holden or HSV to do a dead key, as I've always had at least one key with some power left in it.

10. dabs

dabs New Member

Members Ride:
    VY V6 commodore
    We used a hand held computer called Tech 2 it's simple to programme. Unscrew key from head and screw new head on turn ignition on and programme. Takes about 10 minuets but not much of a money spinner. When I started with Holden we would programme the keys or get the radio security code for free but some bean counter seen a loss of money and not the happy customer that we seen. I always enjoyed the thanks from customers when they got something so small for free. Those day are gone :(

11. Jxfwsf

Jxfwsf Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    commodore
    It only takes a couple of minutes to program a key... catch is if you don't have a working key you need the security code for the BCM from holden to program a new key, was $50-$60 i think the last time i asked for them to access it and supply it to you.
    You also have to prove ownership. If the BCM has been changed you need the VIN from the car it came from and once again have to prove ownership which is pretty much impossible.

Regarding the above pic of a cr2032 button cell, DO NOT solder them, it will damage it.
    It can also explode which wouldn't be a pleasant experience wearing that in the face from the heat of the soldering iron as it is a sealed cell so the expanding gases have to go somewhere.
    Buy one with solder tabs like this
    [​IMG]

If buying a new blank from ebay then make sure it is OEM, the cheap knockoff's are crap and won't program (been there done that).
    Check the logo on the back, if the low parts of this are not smooth with a rough finish and is more of a raised concave feel then it is a clone.

Spot the difference
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
    DLFHUB666 likes this.
  12. DLFHUB666

DLFHUB666 GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!

Members Ride:
    VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
    I didn't know it could damage or blow them up. I reckon i have done over 10 keys AFAIK they have never had any problems. My last one is going strong after 3 years. Will be using battery with solder tabs in future. Also I have edited my 1st post.