Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY foggies

smiley235

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just wandering the best way to wire up some aftermarket fog lights in a VY 's' pack. We wan't it so that the lights come on when the parkers or headlights are turned on (not a seperate switch). The fog lights pack came with fuse, relay wire etc, just wandering about if there is a pre-existing relay to use, ways to get wires through the firewall and tips on getting to the wires connected to the headlight switch. Any diagrams would be appreciated :)

Cheers.

smyth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
If you just want them on permanently when the parkers or headlights are on, just wire them into the back of the the headlights. I had mine set up like this for a few weeks before I got the new lightswitch and it worked ok.

The best spot to get thru the firewall is just near where the bonnet release wire goes thru. I have used an existing relay location (rear wiper) with mixed results, and I'm hoping to fix this up next weekend.

smiley235

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply mate.

Hmm, I've just thought of something.

If he wants it to come on with the headlights and parkers, could I just locate the headlilght/parker relay in the enine bay and just splice off it?

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
you need a separate switch to be legal. I am pretty sure you can have them on and no other lights on.I would put the relay in the engine bay and run the switch wire on the earth of the relay.The power from the battery through a fuse and the other power(the high beam wire when doing spottys) from a wire that only has power when the key is on.

smyth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
I don't recommend trying to use stock relay locations in the engine bay - they are impossible to access. I suggest you purchase the proper fog light switch and do it properly.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
smiley235 said:
Hey all,

Just wandering the best way to wire up some aftermarket fog lights in a VY 's' pack. We wan't it so that the lights come on when the parkers or headlights are turned on (not a seperate switch). The fog lights pack came with fuse, relay wire etc, just wandering about if there is a pre-existing relay to use, ways to get wires through the firewall and tips on getting to the wires connected to the headlight switch. Any diagrams would be appreciated :)

Cheers.

Not legal and you look like a %*$k wit. Why dazzle the eyes of everybody who is coming the other way to you just to look "cool"??? Fog lights should only be lit when (shock horror) it' foggy!

Reaper

smiley235

Reaction score
got them installed, I ran a wire from the headlight relay to another relay to activate it but had to do everything in reverse cause holden relays will have a potential difference of 0 on 2 terminals reading at 12V instead of 0. When headlights come on, one terminal went to 0. Sounds confusing? I got a headache but at least it works,

Cheers all.

Sasha

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Executive
VY S Pack Aftermarket Foglamp Install

smiley235 said:
Hey all,

Cheers.

Face it, nobody in here wants to pay $300 for factory foggies when you can get ones that look just as good and fit and perform like genuine ones.
I got a set of Night Stalkers from Supacheap for $60.

It seems this thread has strayed from you original question. for anyone looking to wire fog lights to a VY S Pack, it can be as easy havng them come on with the high or low beams.

From standard all s and ss models come with the circuit already run for the fog lights as they are a factory option.

Once you have the lights mounted in the bumper, look and you will see the factory loom outlets clipped to the chassis of the car above the rear of the fog lamp holes. Simply plug or wire your lights in to these couplers and your almost done...... No need to run cable or mount a relay as the S Packs already have an empty relay in their panel. Locate it and take the horn relay out , as you rarely use it. Place a piece of wire between the switched negative side of the relay for the foggies and the switched neg side of your low beam relay.. Plug the relays back in with the piece of wire bridging the two and your done :D Instant foggies on with youe headlights.. this is the safest and closest to factory way of doing it besides replacing the lights switch in the cab with a genuine one with fog switch built in.

:thumbsup: hope this helps at least someone.

danny1987

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore sedan
hi im just wondering where to get spoties to fit the vy gts hole except holden? what size are they?