Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Front end on 2002 VU SS?? HELP!!!

NumbNuts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
Hi guys, I have a 2002 VU SS Ute and was wonder what mods are involed with putting a VY Front bar, Guards, Bonnet and headlights? (Basically VY Front end)
Thanks

JT090

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
it doesnt bolt straight up easy as, i know a guy who did it and he was telling me about all the extra mounts and stuff he needed to do because of differences, i think its probs mainly the lights???

someone else may know more as i dont have all the details from this bloke

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
Im pretty sure its a straight forward bolt up,

I was looking at doing it on my VT before i smashed it lol, and pretty much was told by holden it isnt possible, but after a few panelbeaters told me its is as straight forward as just putting the other panels/parts on, I was keen to do it..

You need the gaurds, bonnet, bumper bar, reo bar - (I think its a bit different shaped?) and the black/grey plastic at the base of the windscreen.. where the windscreen wipers are.. and the bumper clips - plastic strips that the bumper clips into,

I could be wrong, but I have been told this on a few occaisions,

I'd go the VZ SS fluted gaurds and SS front bar, VY, or even go the full VZ front conversion?

There might be one or two bolts that dont completely line up, but with a drill bit and a speed nut or two, nothing that couldnt be achieved - quite easily..
Pretty sure its the same chassis, and most likely the same radiator support, so.. worth a look at imo..

NumbNuts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
Thanks Guys. Would i be better off buying a front cut or complete damaged car? Also, How much work is involved with converting a 5.7 to a 3.8 auto? Its just because im on my P's and cannot drive the V8. Will be putting the 8 in after i get my licence but for now i need the 6. Can i hack into the 8 wiring loom?
Cheers

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
Damm.. can you ask for an exemption? saying its your only car etc?

Maybe just buy a six banger, complete car/ute.. put the V8 ute in the shed,
or give it to your oldies to putt around in for like two years or how ever long you have left on em..
or sell the SS, get a stock one, then when you get off your P's buy another one - they'l be cheaper then, and a bit more thrashed..

Or just buy a cheap ass run about till you get off you P's,

Shouldnt need a half-cut, unless you want to go the whole conversion, then yeah it might be an idea,
Do they do half cuts over here? mainly when they bring Jap cars into Aus they chop em up - to fit more in the containers - they might not sure - its late lol.

Ring around the wreckers see if any have a complete front end - panels - gaurds, bonnet, bumper, reo bar, h'lights, plastic bits n pieces etc etc.. see if they'l do you a deal - or check out ebay - guys might of put the VZ gaurds on their VY's and sell off the old gaurds etc.. get creative.. the more you save the better!! to pay a panel beater to spray it up all smicko!