Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY fronts rotars

Markw1009

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY acclaim
Hello is there any tricks to changing the front rotars and brake pads on a VY series 1

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
nah no tricks, just your ussual, bolts for the brake calipers and bolts for the brake caliper carier, so no special tricks, just take of the brake reservoir cap and sit it on top so the pressure doesn't build up when you push the pistons back and make sure you put it back down properly after your done and pumped the pedal up, other than that no tricks, hope this helps.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Blue Loctite on the bolts at re torque and some hi temp anti seize grease on the slide pins as the caliper goes back on. Make sure the rotor is surgically clean too so the pads don't pick up any gunk that may cause surface irregularties. Check check check at the end

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I can guarantee the discs won't just slide off. They tend to rust on, and need a good solid whacking to loosen. If you are replacing them, you can just hit them from the back on alternate sides until they shift. Give them a good dose of penetrating oil beforehand, around the hub to help loosen the corrosion. Clean the hub surface up thorougly and smear high melting point grease VERY LIGHTLY around the mating surface where the disc sits before refitting the discs.

Skooby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
If you have to ask on a forum how to do brakes, save a few lives and get someone that actually knows what they are doing.

The way I see it, brakes and steering are the two things I won't touch, cause if they don't work when you need them, it's game over.

For the minor cost of paying a mechanic to do it.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
If you have to ask on a forum how to do brakes, save a few lives and get someone that actually knows what they are doing.

The way I see it, brakes and steering are the two things I won't touch, cause if they don't work when you need them, it's game over.

For the minor cost of paying a mechanic to do it.

Skooby

Not necessarily. I have many years of experience working on cars but a couple of years ago, I tried changing the rear pads on an XC Barina. You would expect that to be a straightforward job, but I could have used a forum like this just to see if there were any little items that might have helped to do the job, because it was not straightforward.

The OP might have the necessary skills but not be familiar with the process on his particular vehicle. Pad and rotor exchange is not rocket science, after all. You may not have the confidence to work on them, but many of the rest of us have.

I think it was a reasonable request. We all started somewhere.

lastlegend

Phantom VY SS
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Black VY SS + 1999 Silver VT Olympic Sedan
Skooby

Not necessarily. I have many years of experience working on cars but a couple of years ago, I tried changing the rear pads on an XC Barina. You would expect that to be a straightforward job, but I could have used a forum like this just to see if there were any little items that might have helped to do the job, because it was not straightforward.

The OP might have the necessary skills but not be familiar with the process on his particular vehicle. Pad and rotor exchange is not rocket science, after all. You may not have the confidence to work on them, but many of the rest of us have.

I think it was a reasonable request. We all started somewhere.

While I agree the forum has help solve a few problems I have had & I recently looked at doing the same thing Repacing the Rotors is not that hard on a VY but after watching my mate who runs his own Mobile Brake business there is far more to it than meets the eye.

Replacing the Rotors was fairly easy but I then watched as he repeatedly removed each rotor and calibrated them on the bearing to fine the best location to run true so that their was no vibration when braking and this was done with a special tool attached to the strut.

After watching him I would have to say yes I could have done it myself but without the correct calibration tools I would suggest a pro do it.

Also if your thinking off replacing the Calipers see the thread attached.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vy-holden-commodore-2002-2004/98234-pbr-big-brake-upgrade.html

Markw1009

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY acclaim
Hello, Thanks for your help everyone. I have done brakes before just on different cars. As for professionals well thats why I'm doing the brakes I put this car into a dealer soemtime ago to get the brakes done and well if you want something done properly you need to do it yourself.

lastlegend

Phantom VY SS
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Black VY SS + 1999 Silver VT Olympic Sedan
Hello, Thanks for your help everyone. I have done brakes before just on different cars. As for professionals well thats why I'm doing the brakes I put this car into a dealer soemtime ago to get the brakes done and well if you want something done properly you need to do it yourself.

Theres your problem...never trust a dealer to do anything their usless rip offs, get a professional to do what they know best....

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
While I agree the forum has help solve a few problems I have had & I recently looked at doing the same thing Repacing the Rotors is not that hard on a VY but after watching my mate who runs his own Mobile Brake business there is far more to it than meets the eye.

Replacing the Rotors was fairly easy but I then watched as he repeatedly removed each rotor and calibrated them on the bearing to fine the best location to run true so that their was no vibration when braking and this was done with a special tool attached to the strut.

After watching him I would have to say yes I could have done it myself but without the correct calibration tools I would suggest a pro do it.

Also if your thinking off replacing the Calipers see the thread attached.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vy-holden-commodore-2002-2004/98234-pbr-big-brake-upgrade.html

That would have been a dial indicator he used. Not necessary. If the hub face and the rotor face are clean and the correct torquing sequence is used when the wheels go back on, you won't have any problems.