Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vy gen3 tapping noise

vyberlinainto

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy berlina international wagon
my vy berlina international has developed a tapping noise, seems to happen sometimes on startup or if your idling for a bit like in a drive thru or something, than when you drive off it seems to go away, its on the left hand side sounds like the rockers tapping on one cylinder and when it starts doing it the engine develops a miss. any ideas would be great

vyberlinainto

Reaction score
Members Ride
700kms ago and before that it was 3000kms but than it started making the noise, castrol 10w/40

vyberlinainto

Reaction score
Members Ride
the car hasnt been thrashed or been doing burnouts since weve had it either and its done about 155000kms

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
the car hasnt been thrashed or been doing burnouts since weve had it either and its done about 155000kms

oh ok another vy v8 owner mite be able to help more, you could try using that Nulon Lifter Free oil additive, it worked on my vs, if that fails maybe thicker oil? thats is if it is the lifters

vyberlinainto

Reaction score
Members Ride
if you go on the highway for a bit of drive when you pull up and get out thecar is dead quiete

vyberlinainto

Reaction score
Members Ride
we tried 30w/70 for an hour but didnt make a difference, every time ive taken in it to the holden dealer ship it wont make the noise

faBReGaS

Reaction score
Members Ride
251rwkw VY SS
Had the same tapping noise in my car.. i used to use the Castrol Edge 5w 30 fully synthetic and change my oil every 5000kms but changed oil to the Nulon 10w 40 Full Synthetic and the noise went away.. In your case if its an early model VY it could suffer from piston slap as it was common in the VT,VX and early VY Gen3's.