Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy handbrake help

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
g'day all,
I've attempted to properly adjust my parents VY acclaim handbrake...i've jacked the car up..backed off the nut at the lever, took the rear wheels off..took the rubber grommet out of the rotor and adjusted the right side shoes using the toothed wheel..done and dusted within 10-20 mins...however..when i tried to do the same thing to the left hand side, the toothed wheel wouldn't budge at all...so i took the caliper and rotor off and had a look...i tried to turn the toothed wheel where i could properly see..it still wouldn't turn...i had a look at the mechanism which makes the shoes move in and out..i have no idea how the toothed wheel is meant to adjust how far the shoes stay from the inside of the rotor...im not sure if its a wrong part that's been put in there but im assuming all handbrake adjustments done before on this car were done straight at the lever because there is verrrryy little thread for the nut to screw down anymore...anyway, the point i was getting to is that i see no way in which this toothed wheel adjusts the shoes in and out when i try to turn it..there no threads or anything that i could see...hence why im thining there could be a wrong part in the mechanism...now that i have one wheel adjusted correctly and the other side still slack, the car slouches to one side when the handbrake is on...i need as much information or diagrams and pictures as possbile....however, im greatful for any help given =)

cheers guys

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Maybe a silly question but did you try turning it the other way?

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
hahaha yea i tried turning both ways...i used ot be a first year mechanic so i used to do this a fair bit..plus i did an adjustment on my vz ute a couple of weeks ago and everything was ok...its just the left side that wouldn't turn at all...

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
Did u try cleaning it with some kero?

Use some WD40 or silicon spray to free it up. I adjusted the handbrake same way as u on my SV6. The left side wasnt even working, so i just cleaned it up abit & is all good now.

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
hey thanks for the effort fellas but it's ok now...i had forgotten that i had access to VE service information..the mechanism in the handbrake i was talking about is called the "park brake actuator"...the following diagram is of a VE actuator..works a tiny bit differently compared to the the VY to what i could see...but as you can see, part 1 in the diagram screws straight into part 2(the toothed wheel you turn when adjusting)...the grooves in parts 1 and 5 is where the handbrake shoe sits in...what had happened was, was that part 1 was screwed so tightly into part 2 that it wouldn't turn...so i grabed the parts, stuck it in the vice and got it undone using the part of the brake shoe that goes into the groove (screwdrivers weren't big enough)...all i did now was give the threads a quick clean, popped it back in its place, sit the shoe back in correctly, put the rotor back on, caliper back on, and adjusted it as you normally would...i hope this helps anyone else that has the same problem..thanks heaps anyway guys.
cheers

Attachments

• HANDBRAKE ACTUATOR.jpg
    HANDBRAKE ACTUATOR.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 4,418

Ozzymitch

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore VZ
2005vzute you are a legend. I was trying to figure out how this worked. i was attempting to adjust the handbrake last wkd, and i couldn't figure out why it wasn't adjusting. I pulled out the actuator and was bewildered.... there is no thread on it... so i downed tools and figured i would have to pay to get the handbrake fixed... Now i have a job to do on the weekend. unseizing part 1 and 2. cheers... you have saved me some coin.