Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY head unit sockets

ris00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 SS
When i went into auto barn and super cheap recently ive noticed they are selling sockets with bare wires for OEM head units for recent models of cars.
I was wondering if anyone knows or has successfully made a plug for VY models that can be plugged straight into where the OEM head unit plugs into at the rear of the space for it and then wired it to the after market head unit hence being able to use the standard speakers without cutting any wires and replacing the OEM head deck with no problems. I ask the guys at autobarn and they were not very helpful (what a suprise).

So what im after in brief is a socket with bare wires that plugs into the cars OEM head unit plugs at the rear of the space it sits in. If that makes any sense.

fnlow1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais '93
Makes sense to me..... but i cant say I know if they did. I take it u are talking about an adaptor that plugs into the cars wiring loom (ie connecting the power and speakers to the H/U) and then into the aftermarket headunit. It might also depend on what brand of aftermarket headunit you have perhaps checkout car audio australia.

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
I bought an adaptor just like you describe - from memory it was Aero-pro brand and plugged straight into the factory plug. I did all the connections and soldering outside the car, and just slotted the aftermarket head-unit in and plugged in the wires. Perfect, except from memory the wire colours were the wrong way round for constant power and ignition power. (ie the adaptor had the wire colours backwards, and I had to join red to yellow, and yellow to red)

I have used these adaptors in the last 2 or 3 installs and re-fitting the factory deck when the car is sold is an absolute breeze. 15 minute job at the outside, including removing trims etc. Highly recommended.

ris00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 SS
thats what im after you wouldnt know what the part number is or anything would you??

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
I bought an adaptor just like you describe - from memory it was Aero-pro brand and plugged straight into the factory plug. I did all the connections and soldering outside the car, and just slotted the aftermarket head-unit in and plugged in the wires. Perfect, except from memory the wire colours were the wrong way round for constant power and ignition power. (ie the adaptor had the wire colours backwards, and I had to join red to yellow, and yellow to red)

I have used these adaptors in the last 2 or 3 installs and re-fitting the factory deck when the car is sold is an absolute breeze. 15 minute job at the outside, including removing trims etc. Highly recommended.

Hey mate, if you've done a few, what's the best way to install the aftermarket unit as far as mounting is concerned?
I've heard people say lightly hammering out the standard cage and pop riveting the aftermarket cage to the original is the go, what are everyones thoughts as i've got an install in a vy coming up?

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
I've done a few cars, but only one of them a Commodore....

I looked at retaining the metal cage but I couldn't see how everything would fit properly - so I removed the whole metal cage from inside the dash, and installed a one-piece fascia with a pocket and single-DIN opening. I screwed the head unit's metal mounting bracket to the fascia at the sides and just popped out the metal tags top and bottom to hold it in place, then glued a small high density foam "packer" on top of the pocket which supports the rear of the headunit to prevent rattles. So far it's been entirely without squeaks or rattles and it feels solid.

No idea what the part number for the adaptor was, but if you just get the one that suits a VY Commodore, you're cruising - don't forget you'll also need an adaptor for the radio aerial, because the factory plug is a strange shape.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
I've done a few cars, but only one of them a Commodore....

I looked at retaining the metal cage but I couldn't see how everything would fit properly - so I removed the whole metal cage from inside the dash, and installed a one-piece fascia with a pocket and single-DIN opening. I screwed the head unit's metal mounting bracket to the fascia at the sides and just popped out the metal tags top and bottom to hold it in place, then glued a small high density foam "packer" on top of the pocket which supports the rear of the headunit to prevent rattles. So far it's been entirely without squeaks or rattles and it feels solid.

No idea what the part number for the adaptor was, but if you just get the one that suits a VY Commodore, you're cruising - don't forget you'll also need an adaptor for the radio aerial, because the factory plug is a strange shape.

Cheers mate, thanks for the info:thumbsup:

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
Next thing is to replace the front speakers with something that can hack the pace - anyone know what size the speakers in the front doors are? Can 6.5" splits fit, and how do you get at the tweeters?

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Next thing is to replace the front speakers with something that can hack the pace - anyone know what size the speakers in the front doors are? Can 6.5" splits fit, and how do you get at the tweeters?

The factory speakers are 6".

6.5" splits will fit with a bit of cutting/filing of the plastic plinth which the speakers are mounted to. I've installed Jaycar 6.5" splits in mine - no dramas.

To get to your tweeters (from memory):

- open the door fully and undo the screw on the vent thing beside your dashboard.
-you then need to remove the long, skinny plastic trim where your dashboard meets your windscreen. You'll see one screw under the bit you just took off (above) and the rest just unclips.

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
Awesome, thanks for the help - 1 pair of Jaycar splits coming up. I take it you're happy with the performance of the speakers?
(Sorry about the hijack)