Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY HSV Clubsport VP Aftermarket Front Bar Doesn't Fit VP?

JacobD_10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec. SII Manual
Hey,
Here's the story...
I got a VY HSV Clubsport body kit for my birthday a year ago off my mates. They got it a little cheaper than most sell for brand new off ebay, and they bought it for my VP.
I never got around to fitting it, (the closest was sitting it near and around my car to see how it looked), my car is lowered and it sat about 2 inches above the ground at the rear with no one in the car. (beside the point)

Point is I sold it a year later on ebay just the other day and I advertised it as fitting a VN/VP. It looks JUST like the others that are on ebay. The guy picked it up the sarvo and rang me back when he tried to fit it.
He's saying that the main lower air intake sits too high and thus the reo (sitting as low as it can before it hits the intake) makes the whole front bar sit approx 1.5" lower than it should!

Now I sold it in good faith from what I was told and I really feel bad because I assumed it would fit better than what he is telling me. Everything else but that fits fine and if the air intake was a little lower it would fit fine.

Does Anyone! know why this may be the case?
Is it the wrong kit? Is the reo wrong on his car? Was the bar manufactured incorrectly? Does he need a different models reo?
I cant put my finger on why it doesnt fit.

Any help, soon, would be much apreciated, I dont want this guy to think I have ripped him off.

Thanks,
Jacob

Last edited:

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Probably just a case of a poorly made kit.

I have never seen a later model kit like that on a VN/VP that fits correctly.

You didn't fit it to your car so you don't know if it actually fits properly. Who knows, the guy that sold it to your mates might have had the same problem.

I'd go over and have a look at it and see how bad it is. It might just need slight massaging at a panel shop. If its not too much I'd be offering to put in for some of that work, or just taking the whole thing back.

Or you could play the buyer beware thing and tell him tough luck (I couldn't do that personally).

JacobD_10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec. SII Manual
I would much rather not tell him tough luck. (plus he picked it up and knows where i live :S haha )
Massaging the body kit 1.5" wouldnt be easy especially where it is.
And he lives an hour away from me and Im not real keen on travelling that far to see it.
I have asked him to measure the distance from the top of the grille to the top of the lower air intake so i can compare it to my commodore and see how far out it is.

I wouldnt have thought that all the effort gone into making moulds (and the whole front bar) could be out by 1.5" but I guess it is definately a possiblity.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
i remember another guy on this forum had some problempeople suggested drilling new holes in reo to move the bar higher up

JacobD_10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec. SII Manual
yer thats easy but the bar can't be moved up higher because it hits the lip from the air intake on the inside of the bumper ... the lip moves in towards the radiator about 5cm from memory. and it slopes around at the edges too i think so you cant bend it down.
And if you cut the lip off you would see the reo. through the intake.
I suppose that could be a solution?
Cutting the lip so the bar can slide up (reo would be visible through the intake though and sit flush with the front of the bar :S). and he could by some mesh grille?
Probably wouldnt look the best though

Last edited:

JacobD_10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec. SII Manual
Yer, one of my mates said thats what you have to do with a lot of fibreglass bars (sometimes even remove the reo).
He was definately not keen on removing the reo because it is illegal (and he has safety air-bags).
Is cutting the reo illegal but ? do you know? (i think it is)
Removing it is, but just cutting a 1.5" strip off the bottom should be fine. From memory the support bars for the rio front are at least 1.5" above the base too.

Last edited:

Vt-Brrrlina

vp bt1 gts replica
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp bt1 5.0ltr full GTS kit
i cut the reo for my vp gts front bar.. ud never tell once its all fitted and done ...

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
i cut the reo for my vp gts front bar.. ud never tell once its all fitted and done ...

and it was a pig of a job to remove and its gonna be more of a pig to put it back on once its painted . hurry up and clean the rocker covers ya slack bastard

LordMayhem

Here For A Good Time!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Yer, one of my mates said thats what you have to do with a lot of fibreglass bars (sometimes even remove the reo).
He was definately not keen on removing the reo because it is illegal (and he has safety air-bags).
Is cutting the reo illegal but ? do you know? (i think it is)
Removing it is, but just cutting a 1.5" strip off the bottom should be fine. From memory the support bars for the rio front are at least 1.5" above the base too.

what model is he fitting it to? cause from memory safety air bags didn't come out untill the vr's.