Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY II Calais Climate Control Problem

kdashton

Reaction score
G'Day All

I have just bought myself a 2004 VY II Calais Supercharged V6. I'm really liking the car so far except for an intermittant fault in the climate control. The problem I have is that the compressor will just randomly disengage, rendering the A/C useless. My mechanic has checked over the refrigerant levels, high pressure switch, compressor clutch switch and the like, and everything has checked out ok in that regard.

What he has indicated that may be a problem is a random voltage "spike" being delivered by the ECM or BCM to the compressor(bad earth perhaps? where is the ecm and bcm earthed anyway?!) ? Has anyone ever come across an issue like this? Sadly for me I cant replicate the problem every time to show another auto electrician, but it sure as hell is annoying knowing that the fundamentals of the system are solid, but an small electrical fault brings the whole shebang down. I have checked and swapped relays, and the odd earthing bolt, but I am running out of ideas.

I'd appreciate any help you fellas might be able to give.

Cheers.

bsm

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vb sl/e 310 + Vc sl/e
Sounds like an electronic bug.

The climate control gets input form PCM and BCM and a few sensors. Get an auto electrician to check the resistance of the sensors.

Did any one run a TECH 2 test for any errors?

Last edited:

kdashton

Reaction score
I had the car tested today...... bad news.

The evaporator temperature sensor is playing up. The tech dude was saying that the dash has to come out -10hours of labour!

I am more than capable of removing the dash myself but, I am worried that I wont be able to open the heater box to get to the sensor without losing the refrigerant. Would this be the case?

Cheers.

bsm

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vb sl/e 310 + Vc sl/e
You won't lose and any refrigerant to get to sensor. While you got the dash out may as well change any other heating and cooling senors.

kdashton

Reaction score
I had the dash out in an hour, but it took me an hour to replace the sensor, i wasnt sure if the sensor just sat down against the evaporator or if it clipped in further down against the evap somewhere..... It was a right pain to get it fitted as it was, so im praying it fires up properly. Im expecting a two hour refit time tomorrow morning all going well :)